IGNORED

Chords New M -Scaler

4 hours ago, mav52 said:

Its typical , yes the thread should be closed and the other topics taken up in their own thread. 

Hopefully there will be some relevant posts once the Hugo M-Scalers begin shipping.  I will be buying one at some point.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

For all my fiddling with software filters in both A+ and HQP, I never heard anything close to the step change I heard from Blu2/M-Scaler in front of DAVE.  I think we’re comparing apples to oranges as Rob has designed his DACs such that M-Scaler can improve upon all the existing strengths of his DACs.  I know there are DACs that responsd really well to HQP but I’ve not heard one myself.

I love what I’ve heard from the DAVE.  I’m fully on board with where Rob Watts is going because to my ears he’s doing something very special.  I know that many feel the same about what HQP brings to the game.  It’s great that we have choices!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Just now, mansr said:

Have you tried the test files I made using various different filters?

I did not as I assumed these were upsampled beyond the max sample rate of my Hugo TT, which is like 384 kHz.  If that’s not the case, I will try them.

(and yes, I will have to first upgrade my DAC before getting an M-Scaler)

17 minutes ago, mansr said:

They are 705.6 kHz. You mentioned the DAVE, so I thought maybe you had one.

I wish.  A good friend has one.  He’s been a bad influence.  ?

I appreciate you making those files available.  I wish I could play them.

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a Mojo for portable use.  Maybe I should use this as a justification.  ? 

• 7 months later...
14 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Almost all non-Chord DACs could only accept 192kHz via (single) coaxial BNC / RCA inputs. As a result, we're only able to utilize 0.25 million taps instead of 1 million. Maybe not worth all that money?

My Hugo TT accepts up to 384kHz via a single coaxial BNC.  But you could be right that most other DACs only go up to 192kHz via coaxial BNC.

A very nice improvement can be heard from just the half-million taps.   I'm expecting a bigger bump though after my TT2 finally arrives.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, Crustacean said:

Great to hear that you're getting such an improvement at 384kHz.

(snip)

I'd still be curious if anyone has thoughts about the maximum BNC cable length that would be advisable running out of the M-Scaler.

I'm surprised that the Hugo TT has responded so well to the HMS at a half million taps.  All the improvements reported at a million taps are present here too.  I think I've been most amazed with the improvement to bass articulation and tone.

As far as BNC cable length, I believe the standard specifies a max length of 10m.  But your best bet is to post to the HMS thread on HeadFi on the with a callout to Rob Watts.  He's good about answering questions there.  

HMS thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, incus said:

Great to get this feedback from the front lines as I await my HMS and TT2 combo as well. Thank you. Could you perhaps describe in a little more detail what the Shunyata brought to the table, besides "minutiae" (which I assume means detail retrieval?)? What is the "goodness" you are hearing, if you don't mind sharing? It would be very helpful to me personally as I contemplate which BNC cables to get for my combo. Cheers (Also has your dealer given you a firm date for the TT2 to arrive?)

First off, no firm date yet on the TT2.  Apparently Chord has still not fulfilled some orders placed in Nov/Dec.

I'll respond to your question about the Shunyata products later.