IGNORED

Consensus about upsampling to 512 DSD

4 hours ago, semente said:

Would it be correct to say that you upsample in the DAC not with music processing/playing software?

If so, then you do up-/oversample.

Yes, indeed.  My statement that I do not use an NOS DAC says so implicitly.  However, I do not set my rendering software to apply any upsampling to its output and, thus, I do not use any up/oversampling software external to my DACs.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

21 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I’m not familiar with JRiver DSD upsampling. Typically there is a software setting that does volume, and shouldn’t interfere with the output driver.

Unless something has been changed lately, JRiver cannot directly upsample DSD-to-DSDx without an intermediary conversion to PCM.  OTOH, it can (and does) upsample PCM -to- PCMx -to- DSDx.  In both cases, however, it cannot apply variable volume control to DSD output, only PCM.

Kal Rubinson

3 minutes ago, audiventory said:

There is a stuff where it described?

Nope.  Things like that are gleaned from the JRiver YABB forums.    And, btw, my full statement was 

"Unless something has been changed lately, JRiver cannot directly upsample DSD-to-DSDx without an intermediary conversion to PCM. "

Kal Rubinson

46 minutes ago, tailspn said:

But that doesn't answer my question; does sacd_extract routinely produce track transition click/ticks from slicing ISO DSD files? (which BTW are .dff). If so, does that mean its slicing at the PQ Marker time point within a dff frame, then later converting to dsf?

There is a method which combines the work of several people but is listed on CA as Bogi's method at 

Since I have been using it, I have not heard any clicks although, I must admit that I rarely heard them before this.   I believe that DACs vary in their susceptibility to making the track transition errors audible.

Kal Rubinson

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, WIZARDZ said:

Hi no idea about DSD upsampling but I am wondering since converting songs to DSD512 using XiRSC software have I then upsampled the track basically upscaled it then to DSD512, and is there a way I can improve on this extremely cheaply hardware wise for anything with line out to go between speakers and a device with line out please any help would be greatly appreciated. I create songs using logic pro x but I'd ideally like to also find a way to convert a .WAV 32BIT 192 file to something ultra hi res as well so I can distribute far superior sound files.

Upscaling it does not create "something ultra hi res" nor does it necessarily create "superior sound files."  In addition, you should include a description of the provenance of your offerings so that your buyers/users/etc. are not misled into thinking that they were recorded in DSD512.   

FWIW, there is absolutely no shame in creating and offering true 32/192 recordings.   and I, for one, would prefer them as such and not up-sampled.  I can do that for myself if I choose to.

Good luck. 

Kal Rubinson