IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 for Windows (Official Thread)

Happy with Audirvana+ 3 for Windows so far. I used it to upsample everything to DSD256 into a network UpNP MPD (Linux) renderer, and the sound is gorgeous.

Curious to try JPLAY FEMTO, another UPnP solution, I set up another (Windows) renderer with it, to take the place of MPD.

This appears to work well with PCM files, however DSD files get stuck in Audirvana and never leave the 0:00 time. Also, with DSD material the JPLAY FEMTO settings on the renderer immediately crash, and I have to restart the machine.

From JPLAY support I understand that this is a known problem and that they are in contact with Damien about this.

Any info on progress on this would be appreciated! It might well be a winning combination...

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With Audirvana (last version for Windows) set to upsample to DSD256, when I play a DSD64 file, Audirvana still indicates, bottom right under the volume bar, DSD64 as output. And indeed the receiving audio pc (Linux with mpd and upmpdcli) also indicates that it receives DSD64.

PCM files upsample to DSD256 without problem.

How can I upsample DSD64 to DSD256?

audio system

Not just te GUI. Using the mac version the GentooPlayer renderer confirms to receive DSD256:

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: DSD_U32_BE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 352800 (352800/1)

Whereas using the Windows version it receives DSD64:

rate: 88200 (88200/1)

So the GUI corresponds to the actual format sent/received.

Apart from that, I think upsampling DSD64 to higher rates is essential for software like this.

audio system

You maybe right about that.

I have no preference for either DSD or PCM but I do know that my Lampizator Lite 7's DSD chain is way better than its PCM chain. And DSD64 upsampled (by either Audirvana mac or HQPlayer) to DSD256 sounds considerably better than the original DSD64.

On the other hand, PCM sounds absolutely gorgeous with my Audio Aéro DAC. It can compete with Lampizator DSD, but with a different sound signature (I call it 'creamy' but not in a bad way).

I was not aware that A+ (and HQPlayer?) upsample DSD => PCM => DSD.

audio system

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yesterday I re-flashed my Amanero board with the new firmware 2006be10 (CPLD_1081_DSDSWAPPED) and this is the first time ever I am able to play DSD512 under Linux with my Lampizator hybrid B7/Lite, using HQPlayer on my Windows control PC and Gentoo Linux on my audio PC.

However, trying to do the same with Audirvana+ for Windows (sending the stream to mpd via upmpdcli), there is only noise.

In both cases the Linux command cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params gives:

rate: 705600 (705600/1)
period_size: 32768
buffer_size: 131072

Any idea why?

audio system

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Jud said:

The beta is public, so probably the best thing is to take it for a spin and see how it works for you.

I believe you'll have to register on the forum community.audirvana.com to do this if you haven't already.

On the forum, I found this for installing the beta for Windows:

https://audirvana.com/delivery/windows/index.html

However when trying to install the app, nothing happens.

Any idea?

audio system

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

You may have to set the permission in Windows to permit the sideloading of apps.  See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-windows-10-sideload-apps-outside-store.

Also, can you even run apps on Windows Server 2019? (I thought the Microsoft Store was removed from the server software.)

Thanks. I tried that, at least the equivalent for Windows Server 2019, but still nothing happens when hitting the "Get the app" button.

Is there another way?

All other apps run well on Server 2019 so far. It is the version with desktop (so not the core version).

audio system

7 hours ago, Jud said:

If you’re running a possibly modified Win Server then yes, this could potentially be a problem. Can you install a clean Win 10 Pro (preferably) or Server and see if it works, or not?

Thanks Jud, a bit reluctant now to reinstall as everything is running smoothly with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512 into my GentooPlayer audio PC with the networkaudio daemon. So far, I could not make this work with with my current version of Audirvana into GentooPlayer with mpd/upmpdcli, so I was just wondering whether it would work with the new Audirvana version. I guess not, but I might try later when I find the time and energy.

audio system

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...