IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

23 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Still sitting here listening, jaw dropped. I would just go for a length of Supra CAT8 ($9.00 per meter) and some barrel screw connectors and forget about all the injector dongle b.s. Definitely found the missing link for my system. Something was more right with the cheap cat 7 vs the Canare starquad but still off. The Supra hits on all cylinders. 

I ordered some! If I understand this right , you are using all the twisted pairs but the shields are floating (not connected) on either end: 1,2 + 7,8 for +ve and the rest for -ve?

The cable is 1 meter long?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Supra8 (+JSSG) 1ft long wired brn/orn pairs +ve, rest -ve as a DC cable, Uptone LPS-1.2 to Sonore ultraRendu:

I am impressed with it as it slightly edges out my silver plated custom cable - it as if the music has been turned up a notch- better dynamic range?  lower noise floor? I don't know, but in either case it is an excellent tweak for little money!

Have fun!

b.

UGREEN (flat)  description mentions 26AWG, as does the IBRA (flat). FWIW - the construction looks similar and shows a drain wire (GND)  inside the shield of each twisted pair for the flat versions (no overall shield). This is different from the round cable where one drain wire and an overall shield in contact with the twisted pair shields is shown.

image.thumb.png.41cebf26d550c1c4db5065ea14ff793f.png

image.thumb.png.ab07c219025d29499fcaf8f648743627.png

spec:

https://www.ugreen.com/product/1322-en.html#ad-image-6

@totoxio - The CAT/DC cables are a bit of a puzzle! Like you say one can notice an apparent increase in volume. In my setup (LPS1.2>ultraRendu) and with the few cables I have tried, the Supra CAT8+JSSG (1ft, round) is the king of this phenomena! Next is the flat braided Tera Grand CAT7 (6ft). The UGREEN flat CAT7 (3ft) is the  least 'volume changer' together with the Tera Grand CAT7 round (3ft)! A lot going on here - and this is when I compare to my custom 'near star quad' teflon/silver plated OFC 2x22AWG per leg! IMO the Supra, flat UGREEN & flat braided Tera Grand, edge it in performance.

FWIW - I feel the 'flat' (Tera Grand) cable I have to be better than the round one at this DC thing but this is not a scientifically studied subject by me. I should at least initially standardize the length at 3ft for the different CAT cables and see what 'audible' conclusions I come up with.

edit- I should mention that I use all the twisted pairs for power. I use the modified adapter as shown in my earlier post to achieve this when applicable.

I guess for low power devices (<1A) the wire diameter is not such a big factor in short lengths and where a little voltage drop can be tolerated? As  an example: the Uptone LPS-1.2 to Sonore uRendu- I have used 15.5 AWG (1.31mm^2) 10in long Cardas and the Tera Grand flat braided CAT7 cable 4x30AWG (.20 mm^2) 2M long per leg on the other extreme. I believe the CAT7 edges it!

The Tera Grand is a smaller diameter wire from what I gather from the web, 30AWG vs 26AWG for the UGREEN. This one has a braided outer jacket, is narrower but a bit thicker overall than the UGREEN. I do not know about the insulation or  if there are other internal differences. Glad you are enjoying your new purchase!

It is possible that  residual differential AC noise on the DC +ve is further reduced (filtered) via crosstalk to -ve pairs via coupling of the individual shields. Somewhat demo'd by this little experiment (no affiliation).

https://dcc.ligo.org/public/0060/T1100264/001/Cable Crosstalk Test_v1.pdf

Alpha Wire 2214C

http://www.alphawire.com/Products/Cable/Alpha-Essentials/Communication-and-Control-Cable/2214C?popup=pdf

Alpha Wire 6054C

http://www.alphawire.com/Products/Cable/Alpha-Essentials/Communication-and-Control-Cable/6054C?popup=pdf

Some folks report better SQ by simply inserting the CAT7/8 into the existing wiring, thus suggesting a resulting noise reduction.

@tims-I have that flat UGREEN CAT7 in a 1 metre length. I got it from Amazon. I would recommend it highly. There is a round version as well which I do not have. @totoxio might chime in as he has both versions. I do have Tera Grand CAT7 though in both round and flat (braided jacket) and much prefer the latter for the DC usage.

edit- I should mention that I use these from the Uptone LPS-1.2 to the Sonore ultraRendu, and use all the twisted pairs for power (brn/orn +ve, blu/grn -ve). Of the Tera Grand flat cables I have I prefer the 2M to the 1M long in this application.

@genjamon - Does your UGREEN/PoE adapter combo use the two or the four twisted pairs for power? I take it the Supra is using the four. I am wondering if it is really apples & apples you are comparing?

If it is using the PoE 2 pairs and you would like to try all the 4, you can have a look at my post on page 11 showing the mod to the adapter that achieves this without cutting the cable.

Well, they are rated in the CAT DC PoE spec (something like 57 V max & 15.4 W?). If you double up the pairs per leg you could possibly double the current but you want to avoid heat build up. I am using a Supra CAT7/8 at 7.5 volts & .5A, 2A max. Some CAT7s use 30AWG wires (e.g. Tera Grand flat)!

3 hours ago, flkin said:

PoE's have different wiring configurations. The Amazon 4 piece set I purchased had wires 7 and 8 for negative and 4 and 5 for positive DC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LX1WL2Z?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

This is different from the pictures are the beginning of this thread. 

That is what the line diag. on page 1 shows. The pcb cut-away on page 1 has no pin #s but you can compare the layout to page 11 pics, which shows pin #s

@marce- I wish I could answer that with some scientific explanation, but in truth- I don't know. The effect is easy to hear though n my setup. I am using the dc cable between the Uptone LPS-1.2 and the Sonore UltraRendu which feeds a DAC. I can only speculate that there is some residual ac leakage or EMI riding on the DC that could reach the DAC or that the current consumption is  fluctuating in some way such that the cable geometry/design comes into play.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Nice report! Well done. Just curious, have you tried it with an ISO Regen?

I have it on the ISO Regen currently, sharing a split LPS 1.2 feed with the uR. The setup sounds sweet. I will switch it out in a few days and note any differences. PC>Iso Regen>Anker USB/Ethernet>uR.

Thanks.

ATB.

b

1 hour ago, BigGuy said:

Not sure if you are up to speed but the screw-type terminal plugs are wired internally with ~30AWG wire which has very low amperage rating.

thanks - I think they are okay for evaluation purposes and this usage.

1 hour ago, marce said:

Over the years I have tried all this stuff as well as measurements in the past, funnily when I stopped trusting my ears my system improved....

By the same token bring some explanation and measurements to the discussion to prove to yourself and others that the sound changes are all in the mind.....

As said I don't see magic cables in other areas of electronics only in Audiophile audio...

And yes cable differences are measurable, many are far below the threshold of hearing and to have the effects many report the differences will be easily measured.?

All in jest right? What instruments did you use with the system??

Have fun.

ATB

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

Any product that is sensitive to the DC supply cord is a poorly designed product. Industrial audio Consultant Dick Pierce pointed that out two decades ago, about expensive hi-fi digital products that were sensitive to digital interconnect cables.

Don't you think a product should be evaluated against its design goals? I am sure you can see/hear why an industrial power supply might have different ones from an audiophile product for a home environment. I sure do not want a military/industrial specification applied to any of my super sounding audio products -not only unnecessary but would add silly cost and likely sound worse- a self defeating exercise?

On 6/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, Cornan said:

Next up the dual Supra DAC with drain loop.

Boy what a releif from the Puresonic tripple ccc cable with Oyiade plugs in this spot! The gates of heaven was opened again. A breath of fresh air injected into everything. More music glow. More crisp. More presence. More air. More 3D & 4D but with singer in front. Fibers in loads. Wow! This got to be the best f***ing DC cable that I’ve tried ever! ?

Thanks for this tip - I have no access to Supra DAC but have sort of similar cables lying around. I had some left over tonearm cable (1ft) - the Van Den Hul D-502 twin hybrid (carbon/25.4 AWG SPC). With your 'winning' configuration I am getting a very sweet PRaT'y sound when I use it between LPS-1.2 & uR! I cannot say whether the sound  image is as clear as the CAT7/8 but the tones are better (smoother, much like the Gotham). The Cornan cable config = 'High inductance in Faraday cage'? Very interesting.

image.thumb.png.0b6e446a1f62b76f0286176c9f9d4f37.pnghttps://www.vandenhul.com/product/d-502-hybrid-halogen-free/

the single bulk

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VAN-DEN-HUL-M-C-D-501-HYBRID-HIGH-QUALITY-TONEARM-CABLE-METERWARE-PER-1-0M/271953916206?hash=item3f51b7712e:g:md4AAOSwry1aQQJk