IGNORED

HP recommendation for classical listening

A bit late to the party here, but I can confirm that the HD800 are outstanding for classical (you've probably noticed that I quite occasionally listen to this type of music....)

I agree with what was said however that they benefit from a good amp for the 800 (I'm using Sennheiser's own HDVA600). 

My second set of headphones is worth exploring if you can still find them: the Beyerdynamic T90. I bought them some months ago while I was at a hifi shop just shopping for an Audioquest Dragonfly Red, and they are now my semi-mobile system (I travel a lot for work, and the combo is perfect with my Macbook and Audirvana+ in hotel rooms). 

It works perfectly well with the Dragonfly, i.e. isn't too picky with regards to source. And I get probably 80% of the performance of the HD800. The Tesla drivers are still pretty analytical, but it's a bit warmer than the extremely clean and precise HD800. Plus they are very comfortable. 

The T90 has been phased out by now replaced by the Beyerdynamic Amiron. I compared both but preferred the T90. You may still find some remaining stock of the T90 online. That said, the Amiron is also a very good pair, and price-wise significantly below the Sennheiser 800 series. 

I personally never was a fan of the Sennheiser 600 family by the way. And the 700 truly is the 800's very poor cousin, I would avoid it. 

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I am evaluating a bunch of headphones for an upcoming review. While you can do better than the 800S for other genres, there really is no competition for classical. 

And at the price, it’s a no brainer. These other ‘phones are significantly more expensive.

+1. Still enjoying every minute with my HD800/HDVA600 combo for classical. 

Plus, and this in the end may be more important is that they are just amazingly comfortable to wear over even long listening sessions. 

At the time of purchase, I had compared them to the LCD-2 and 3 but the Audezes are significantly heavier. 

I’m convinced you won’t regret your purchase. 

Only thing to note: The 820 are closed so if you are listening with other people around they may be more convenient. 

Orherwise go 800S. 

41 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Having heard the 820 at CanJam's, I will say that they are great - for closed back. But if you don't need that feature, I'd still recommend the 800S. The 820s do have a slightly fuller bass, but I do feel it loses some of that air and space that makes the 800/800S so special for classical.

I haven’t heard the 820s but the only closed headphones l’ll ever use are my trusty Bose QC35 without which I’ll never board a plane again. Otherwise open always sounds better to me. 

That said, closed just are less of a nuisance for your environment, with open cans you need to have your own room or tolerant people living with you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 12:11 AM, Norton said:

If I can revive this thread.

I didn’t buy earlier this year as I simply wasn't sure I liked HP listening enough to justify 4 - figure expenditure .

I’m currently having another go, trying out the HD800s vs the LCD-X.  

I like both, the Audeze are an exciting listen, quite similar in character to my speakers, whereas the HD800s are cooler and more analytical. I’m tempted by the latter as a counterpoint to my speakers rather than just trying to replicate the sound.

I wondered if the HD800s is still the top recommendation for classical listening? Vs the new HD820 for example?  Or indeed what do others think of the LCD-X?

Thanks.

So Senor, will Santa bring an HD800S this year?

21 hours ago, Norton said:

Possibly, if I could make my mind up!..After trying quite a few out the choice is (maybe) down to the HD800 (local dealer has new for a lot less  than the s), HD800s or Grado PS1000E.

I know the HD800(s) are super accurate and the  sensible choice, but I’m not sure I could live with them as home entertainment, great as they probably are as a monitoring  instrument.

By contrast, the Grados really are the nearest HP I’ve heard in sound to my speakers, a very  up front exciting  listen, but moving into serious money (£1900 in UK) for an agnostic HP listener like me.

One if the reasons I’m in no hurry is that I’ve dug out my Ergo2s for day to day listening -  the more I try out other HPs , the more I appreciate  how good they are, especially for  the money.  Somewhat eccentric perhaps, but they do have a unique open sound, then again there’s the upmarket Ergo AMT to consider....

If you get a good price on the HD800, go for it. I’d be extremely surprised should you regret it. 

And if you should you can always sell it.