IGNORED

Benchmark Dac1 Pre/USB or Peachtree Nova?

Hi,

Currently, I am primarily streaming digital files through a squeezebox duet into an unmodified Beresford T-7510 D/A, into a Rotel RX-1052 to a pair of Rainmaker Totems, and am looking to upgrade my DAC. I like the idea of having an integrated pre-amp/DAC for my phono and old cassette input analog input, but I might just get a tube pre-amp separately. I also like my rotel, although I am willing to part with it if the Nova integrated amp sounds better. Basically, I distrust the Nova integration and would like to use separate parts, but I like the ease and price point. The Dac1 is supposed to be tremendous but I don't know if it would work well with the Rotel and rainmakers.

Help?

Thank you!!!!!!!

Admittedly I am new to the game, but the Nova integration for me has been more an asset than a detriment. I hooked it up to B&W CM7 floor-standing speakers and it seems to cope well in a large room (my ears bleed by the time I turn the volume up to 2:00, with no distortion). However, you can just use the Nova's DAC and an analog line out to the RX-1052 if you need to (there is a second one after the pre-amp stage), but I would be inclined to do the opposite (have the RX-1052 feed its analogue into the Nova). In other words, I don't think there is much to distrust in the Nova, and the owners of Peachtree respond within minutes to my emails, so if they can address your concerns, it might be worth shooting them an inquiry. If 80W doesn't cut it, then I guess it isn't a good idea, but that is really the only thing that I can see, from my admittedly limited perspective, as a concern.

In either case it appears you'd want to ditch the Rotel, especially if you decided on the Nova. If your long-term goal is to have a tube pre-amp and a separate DAC you might be better off getting the Benchmark for now until you find a tube pre-amp that suits your style.

The Nova would sure simplify things a bit but I've not heard it so I can't comment on it's DAC section.

As Chris suggested, try to demo both if you can.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

The typical audiophile opinion is that if a manufacturer combines too many functions, they will make engineering decisions to the detriment of something. If they aim for a price point, something will get cut to meet it. But, the system engineer in me knows how hard it is to find that right combination where everything is working well together. I’ve owned my Decco for a couple of years now, and I don’t think I would ever consider buying a non-integrated amp or one that lacks a DAC. Sure, you can roll the dice, audition every combination of separate component on the market, and find that magical combination that just sings. Or, you can let the manufacturer do all the research for you. Buy the Nova and get down to listening to music, right out of the box.

The comments/reviews I've seen online say that both the pre and DAC are excellent, and the amp section is good (by audiophile standards). So on paper it seems like your idea of using it as a pre/DAC

You should be able to get a Nova for a tryout from a Dealer, and see if it meets your performance requirements.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The comments/reviews I've seen online say that both the pre and DAC are excellent, and the amp section is good (by audiophile standards). So on paper it seems like your idea of using it as a pre/DAC

You should be able to get a Nova for a tryout from a Dealer, and see if it meets your performance requirements.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)