IGNORED

dCS Guide to Computer Audio

DCS guide to Computer Audio

I found this article well written and without any bias toward their product. It covers many of the topics discussed here in these forums and is an ideal beginners reference for computer audio. Covers how music can be transmitted, choosing hardware even notes on OSs.

Well done dcs!

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/page/assets/dCS_Guide_to_Computer_Audio.pdf

I found the link from this page:

http://www.musicloversaudio.com/news/story.php/dcs-releases-guide-to-digital-audio/

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Chris ... do I recognise some of the language in that dCS document? Was this written by you?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for dCS and their products. And, it’s good to see manufacturers investing time and effort into educational material about computer-based audio. I trust that computer audio will benefit from the deep resources at leading manufacturers like dCS; I think this is ultimately good for everyone who shares this hobby.

However, it appears that dCS has decided to copyright and protect the dCS Guide to Computer Audio (the “Guide”). Unless the 54-page Guide was developed exclusively in-house by dCS, my personal feeling is that it would have been nice to see dCS give credit to external sources and/or collaborators, if any.

Pardon me for saying this, but some of the content in the Guide seems very similar to the work produced by CA. One example of this is the Guide’s USB Audio Primer on page 6.

CA is included in the Useful Links section of the Guide on page 52. Maybe this was dCS’s attempt to subtly credit CA?

I sincerely hope that my comments do not offend anyone at dCS. My intention is not to be confrontational or a buzz-kill. Just offering an initial thought after reading the Guide.

Respectfully yours,

Chris

P.S. I'm on the same page as Eloise...

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

This reminds me of a saying by Confucius; namely, “Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues.”

I don’t know if the pursuit of good tunes qualifies as a ‘virtue.’ However, I do see a ‘solid foundation’ for computer-based audio with a lot humility on your part Chris.

Thanks for everything.

Best regards,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/