IGNORED

New Drobo FS

Just reading there is a new Drobo from Data Robotics.

The Drobo FS is a true NAS (directly network attached with Gigabit networking) with 5 drive bays allowing upto 9TB of storage. It also runs the Drobo Apps such as Fuppes UPnP server.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone - I'm new to the computer aspect of being an audiophile but have enjoyed the "high end" for sometime...

I saw the Drobo FS come out as well. Anyone have info if there will be issues using this NAS to stream from iTunes or similar front ends? I was reading a few posts about the drive only working "well" as a media server if the DroboApps (Firefly, etc)were used.

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Using iTunes, it's probably best to just use the Drobo FS (or any NAS for that matter) as a pure file sharing device. Don't try using Firefly, etc.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Why do you think it's better not to use the Drobo FS in iTunes server mode?

do you know the way to open the same iTunes Library on 2 or more computers at the same time, assuming that the library is saved on the Drobo FS?

At the moment, if the library is opened on the iMac, I can't open it on the Mac Book ("you don't have permissions").

Thank you.

iTunes 9, MacBook w/ Snow Leopard, iMac w/ Leopard. Drobo FS.

Hi leorose - It's best to have at least one "main" computer use the Drobo FS as a pure file sharing device for iTunes storage. This way you can edit tracks and take advantage of all the iTunes application functionality. If you want you could easily use the iTunes server for other computers.

The way I use iTunes on a NAS is to store absolutely everything on a shared drive. This includes the music and the iTunes library files that are usually on the local drive (by default). I then open iTunes from any computer and select the network library as my library. I haven't had any issues with more than one computer accessing this at one time. I was hesitant at first though.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new storage solution for my music files and would appreciate some advice. I use a MB with firewire connection to a Sonic Studio Model 4 for playback. My question, I only want a storage device for music (currently around 2000 CDs, a few 24/96 albums but a large vinyl collection to digitize when I can work out how to do it). I do not need to share the files with any other users or computers. Can I use the Drobo FS with a direct connection to the ethernet port on my laptop (no network switch or router involved) or in my circumstances am I better advised to go for the Drobo USB version?

Hope some of you will be able to help with words of wisdom.

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

@Chris: You said it was OK for multiple users to simultaneously access a shared iTunes Library on a NAS. This is great!

Do all users share the same iTunes Library file, or does each user somehow have a separate iTunes Library file on the shared volume?

If they are sharing the same Library file, then I assume that each user sees the same Comments and Ratings, and the Last Played timestamp for a given track is the last time any user on the network played that track.

After one user finishes editing any of the tags of a track, do the changes immediately appear in the iTunes window of all other users?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 3 months later...

I wanted to see if anyone could answer both Bob and PaulC's questions.

I have a MB SSD music server connected to my music hd (Oyen digital with usb/fw) via USB cuz i use the fw connection for my DAC. But I'm filling it up quickly (my larger FLAC-based library was pc-based and when I went MAC I converted/brought over only the good stuff first off). I've had a few folks tell me that connecting via ethernet to something like a Drobo is even better sonically (than port-powered USB via Oyen), and then an added convenience is that i could have my secondary pc iTunes (desktop, not audiophile use) share the same library as I grow it. This solution would rob me of my ethernet connection on my MB, forcing me to go wireless there..would that be a bad tradeoff? Maybe I'd hook the Drobo via my router or some other computer, leaving a wired ethernet connection to my Mac audiophile MB server intact?? I'm getting kind of wrapped around the axle, and don't want to make a stupid decision on music storage. Thanks