IGNORED

SOtM sNH-10G - SOtM’s first network switch

Hi fellows... 

So here I am, debating whether to order the new switch and if to do the clock + master interface upgrade (I have a REF10). Putting it in context, I'm getting a sMS-200 Ultra with a master clock interfac that will feed a cascade of two MC3+USB enslaved to the REF10 (the SQ is already fantastic). So the switch is quite far upstream. 

The upgrade is costly, doubling the price. Should I? Anyone with a first hand experience?  Help me make a decision, please. 

I'm being recommended the ISO CAT6. Does it really make a difference or is it a close kin of the snake oil family? 

Thirsty for some input... 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well from photos (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/sotm2/3.html) you can see that the iSO-CAT6 is a passive device based on an Ethernet transformer module which is surrounded by a network capacitors and diodes.

So while that is not active full digital isolation, it likely has the effect of providing additional blocking of leakage—beyond that provided by the transformers present at every Ethernet port.

BTW, according to someone here at CA who met with the SOtM engineer at a recent show, their sNH-100G switch is based on the iSO-CAT6 tech.

Hope that helps a little.

Indeed it does! I'm impressed you're kind to the competition...I may still get your new switch if it becomes available in the next few months.

A fellow-up question, if I may: Do I place the iSO-CAT6 between the router and the switch, or between the switch and the sMS-200?

Thanks!

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

1 hour ago, romaz said:

I've had my sNH-10G switch for a few weeks now.  Mine has the sCLK-EX board, Evox caps, OCC silver DC leads and 75-ohm master clock input.  All told, just under $2k and so pretty expensive.  With high cost comes high expectations but this one does not disappoint.  As posted on another thread, this one is a dynamics monster and behaves almost like a gain stage.  But not just better dynamics, detail articulation, tonal richness, and noise floor are significantly better.  

Powered with the sPS-500, it sounds very good but with my SR7, it sounds several notches better.  This switch really scales to a better PSU even with the ultra clean regulation that is already built into this unit.

Regarding the iSO-CAT6 tech that is incorporated into this switch, I own an iSO-CAT6 LAN isolator and I would say it makes a subtle difference at best and is almost disappointing.  It is another example that the impact of leakage current is variable from system to system but overall, my experience is that the impact of leakage current is overblown.  What I will say is the impact of this switch is not subtle at all.  This is not just about adding an iSO-CAT6 to this switch.  Having owned/tested many SOtM products, this is easily the most impactful of their products that I have tried in my system and in my case, well worth what I spent for it.  I find it more impactful than my tX-USBultra even though the tX-USBultra connects directly to my DAC and so I find this to be a remarkable feat.

Does higher level clocking impact this card?  Yes, when connected to my REF10, there is greater refinement with a slightly more open sound stage and better timbre but a master clock is more of a finishing touch rather than a must have.  This switch sounds very very good without the REF10.  It leads me to wonder how important clocking is for this switch as I have never heard clocking result in such improvement in dynamics.  Could this switch sound 80-90% as good without the sCLK-EX board at nearly 50% of the price?  As I have never tried this switch without the sCLK-EX board, I am left only to speculate.

Here is another significant benefit afforded by this switch.  Some are aware of how I am using this switch between a noisy, high-power Roon server and a low-power NUC endpoint and I have to say that this switch has basically the same level of impact as the NUC itself.  Well, these benefits apply to video also.  Using a TIVO Bolt as my video server and a TIVO Mini 4K VOX as my video renderer, I noticed a significant uptick in both video and sound quality when I power my TIVO Mini 4k VOX with an LPS-1.2.  This is a wonderful application of the LPS-1.2.  However, when I place the sNH-10G switch between the TIVO Bolt and the TIVO Mini 4K VOX, the improvement in both video and sound quality is even greater.  Video clarity and sound dynamics are better but especially noticeable is that dialog is clearer and better articulated.  With this inexpensive ($179) TIVO Mini 4K VOX powered by an LPS-1.2, connected to the sNH-10G switch, connected to my Chord M-Scaler/DAVE via optical and to my 4K projector via optical HDMI, this very easily surpasses what I was getting from my tricked out Oppo UDP-205 with OCXO and upgraded linear power supplies.

A stellar review. Thank you. I'm still going to wait for up-and-coming UpTone. They swear it'll be the bee knees at 1/3rd of the price. 

Stereo

Surround

2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Are you able to speculate on the result of using this switch without the sCLK-EX but instead using a clock point (via SMB) from a tX-USBultra that is re-clocked by an OCX10?  Are there any issues you can foresee with this approach?

I would be most grateful for your thoughts.

I’m not an expert, but I can apply common sense and deduct. Every device requires a clock to operate, but the time domain is only introduced when the signal is converted to spiff/Aes/analog. Before that points, it contains only a bit stream and a leading field indicating the frequency sample to be applied. 

For that reason, the accuracy of the clock inside the switch is a minor factor in the SQ. UpTone goes as far as to reveal that fact and attributes the SQ contribution of their new product to blocking the “leaks” from upstream. Furthermore, by their own words, they added the ref clock input as a nod to the current 10hz fashion. A classic example of somber engineering stepping back to the gushing forces of the marketplace. 

I’m doubtful any blind test will flash out the high-end clock. Nevertheless, it’ll satisfy the nervosa of many audiophiles and make SOtM happy as it fills its coffers to the tunes of $700 per unit.

In general, SOtM brims with great deal of talent, but like AudioQuest, their catalog is a mixed bag of excellent engineering with a dollop of snake oil. One should tread carefully when reviewing it.

My personal option and observation of course.

Stereo

Surround

39 minutes ago, romaz said:

Like many here, my loyalty is to what sounds best and if the Uptone switch sounds best, I will move to it, however, the sNH-10G has set a very high bar.

The one possible downside with the Uptone switch is that its lone isolated port runs at 10/100 Mbits and while I understand the rationale for this, this limited throughput probably makes this switch less than ideal for passing 4K video.  As stated, I am finding the sNH-10G extraordinary for home theater and not just 2-channel audio.

If UpTone delivers, then I suppose we'll have two different ponies to tackle different terrains. 

Stereo

Surround

1 hour ago, rickca said:

But SOtM will offer a Napa leather saddle and a silver bridle as options.

Gilded horseshoes hasn't made any pony run faster, only looks pretty. 

Stereo

Surround

12 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  I assume you've never experienced a 10MHz reference clock in your system.  ?

Actually, as you can gleam from my signature, I owe a REF10 which feeds a chain of two MC3+USB. The benefits are tremendous. 

Notwithstanding the advantages of precision clocking in the time domain, my common sense and schooling point to a more sober conclusion when the application is network packats (I outlined my thought process above) . If you wish to educate me otherwise, I'm ready and willing. 

Stereo

Surround

Fresh and engrossing information. Thank you. 

Like many others here, I'm rooting for you. Still, the only direct reference to my point, "hint, its a bit to do with clock edges and PS bounce on the planes of downstream receiving devices," leaves me more confused than enlighted. 

I'm not asking for elaboration; you're a busy man. But maybe you can shade more light in future. 

Stereo

Surround

19 minutes ago, rickca said:

Everybody understands what that means.  Just kidding.

"Clock edges" is a known concept affected by jitters and affecting SQ in turn. But how it would have any implications on a pure bit stream devoid of clock information is beyond me switch - > receiving device). 

PS = power supply? If so, how would a clock be related to power supplies and then bounce on the "planes' of receiving devices? Perhaps I'm an ignoramus, or they foster thier own private hypothesis. 

Regardless, the theory of clocking vis-a-vis a network switch isn't a trade secret or patentable process. It's academic knowledge and as such could be expounded in simple terms. 

Stereo

Surround

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, mrkoven said:

This is boggling my mind as well. I want to believe but not sure I can...

22 minutes ago, nekoaoyama said:

It is what it is. If I did not hear a difference, I would also make a post with that impression. 

The sNH-10G is remarkable.

The reviewers usually exaggerate, and their reports are quite predictable. “I’ve swapped that and that in my chain, and a vail was instantly lifted. The bass is much tighter, the trebles are crystal clear, bla bla bla.” In most case, the more expensive the part, the more flowery the superlatives.  

Generally, the improvement non-essential components bring to the table is marginal. 
Sure, many drops make for a river, but each drop is still only a drop. 

There’re are phycological reasons behind those inflated claims, rooted in the personality profile of audiophiles.
But that’s not the place nor time. 

As for the science behind audio-grade switches: their electrical interference/noise/hum is minimized, which translates into a quitter chain—read, less jitter is injected into the receiver (roughly speaking). The result is more precise the timing, and thus better SQ overall.

Happy tunes…

Stereo

Surround