IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

22 hours ago, DelsFan said:

the sound quality utilizing his mini-computer and Roon was better than just listening to Tidal Connect, decoded by my streamer.

Nice work explaining your proposed setup and the information in your post. 

It may be helpful to also describe the connections as used for:

-listening to Tidal connect

-listening to your friend's Roon core

That may help you figure out your course further, as you now already know to avoid placing the Roon core on the B-side.

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]
15 hours ago, Superdad said:

And here is an image of the board that will be arriving back to us at the end of July. We have high hopes for this one. Let's see who spots the possible new feature first...:

ER2_QAtestV097_BRD.jpg.c377c1dbce2681b297af0268de65d8b6.jpg

@Superdad - two SFP cages? Exciting to see the progress on ER2. Thank you for the work and the update!

On 7/18/2023 at 12:18 PM, DelsFan said:

When listening to Roon, we just connected my friend's MeLE computer to the A-side if my EtherREGEN using my old CAT8 Supra Ethernet cable.

It may help to carefully review the connections (ethernet as well as power) for your internet path to investigate the Tidal connect quality. The difference in sound when comparing Roon with Tidal Connect could be due to the overall changes made during testing. Example - when adding the Roon core pc you could be removing a connection temporarily along with changes to power supplies etc. Also, if you used any DSP on Roon that will also make it sound different/better. Roon RAAT is a tight protocol but Tidal Connect should not be too behind in quality. 

Just FYI, the usage thread may get you quicker responses with setup as this is the development thread.

On 7/23/2023 at 5:22 AM, R1200CL said:

If anyone has this module , MA-SFP-1GB-LX10, and tested with oM or etherRegen, please let us know. 

I have successfully tried this (Startech as well as the Cisco version) with the ER in past. 

Coincidentally, I had recently switched my optical connections in the system from Single mode (1310nm fiber) to Multimode (850nm) and I prefer the sound of the multimode fiber now. If it comes to having to choose a type of fiber with the upcoming ER2 from Uptone, I have a feeling most will be on board regardless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have tried Startech and Cisco MASPF1GLX10 modules with the ER, assuming you are asking about the post ER path. The Startechs have pretty good resolution and dynamics. The Ciscos have slightly warmer vocals and may suit what you described. Somehow after rotating I end up back with the 1318P3BTLs and find those to be most musical. You didn't describe your source but those connections also matter.

• 2 weeks later...