IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

Hi Alex!

Are there already any picture you could share? 

I know... anxiety :-)

Have a great weekend!

Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Jorge:

Sorry, no photos yet.  But @Bones13 is correct, the case will be exactly the same size and style as we use for the UltraCap power supplies (and as Sonore uses for the ultra and optical Rendus).

One end has the 4 Gigabit RJ45 copper ports and the SFP cage for optical.

The other end has the "across the active isolators, in its own clock and power domain" RJ45 port,  a DC power jack, a power LED, a ground thumb screw, a 75ohm BNC for optional 10MHz reference clock input, and a tiny switch that selects internal/external clock (and no, the clock signal does not actually go though that switch, it just triggers a circuit).

So with the above info you should be able to close your eyes and picture the whole exterior.  Of course the real magic engineering happens on the 6-layer circuit board inside.  That's also where all the money is--not on a fancy case (though I know some here would like that).  :D

Yes I have the full picture. Thank you Alex.

Pretty ugly device, but I’m sure it will make me happy 🙂

Cheers. Jorge

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 3 weeks later...

The Game of Thrones will arrive sooner!

I will wait... Courage

:-)

• 2 months later...

The fact that I introduced a Cisco switch between my router and my uRendu made a substancial SQ improvement. So I guess that such a innovator  device as the Etherregen will I am sure bring a much higher SQ to my system. Cheers

Please feel free to invite me as a beta tester? 😂

Well, I am based in Manhattan. At least I am qualified based on the country... 

For the rest, I have my doubts... 🙂

Cheers, 

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations and tks for sharing the update!!!

Cheers,

Jorge,

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

As those of you following this thread already know, final pre-production EtherREGEN boards are on order (and I already paid the $$$ for parts for the entire first production run of 250 so that we get any chip availability surprises out of the way now).

These first few completed boards (see: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38968-etherregen-early-general-details-we-are-late-but-getting-closer/?do=findComment&comment=964965) should arrive to us July 2nd.

In the meanwhile, John has built a test board to use in developing the code and process to use in flashing the microprocessors which will load code into the clock synthesizer and Ethernet switch chip each time the EtherREGEN is powered on. Somewhere else I outlined the very elegant system he is devising to handling  both the clock synth code that has to automatically change if an external reference clock is used--and to provide easy provision for field firmware updates (hopefully never needed).  Look to the very bottom of this long post:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38968-etherregen-early-general-details-we-are-late-but-getting-closer/?do=findComment&comment=960560).

Here is a photo of the programming test board.  I am happy he has done this since it allowing him to do a lot of the programming stuff while we wait for the EtherREGEN boards. :D

1499390383_SAMDprogrammingtestPCB.thumb.jpg.21e65d760388b5b44181e2e48cfaccef.jpg

Great job!!!

Any possIble dates for ordering?

I need to adjust my holidays... 🙂

Great, thank you so much for the info!

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Superdad said:

I’m in bed with a couple of cracked ribs—from a stupid biking accident on Sunday—very painful, so I’ll be brief:

We’ve been talking about the key differentiating and unique features of our EtherREGEN since the beginning. Here is post that covers a good deal of them—and in relation to competing products as well.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38968-etherregen-we-are-getting-much-closer/?do=findComment&comment=965263

The key point in answer to your question is that no other Ethernet switches have ANY clock isolation. 

We format the data so that it can go back and forth over a “moat” via a high-speed, low-jitter, differential isolator—followed by fantastically low-jitter flip-flops on both sides.

Now the Ethernet chips (and the flip-flops) on both sides of the moat need clocks—which have to be synchronous—so we dedicate a second of the same advanced active isolator chip to pass the clocks into the two domains. 

Of course for the above data and clock isolation to be in effect, all the power planes must be galvanically isolated into two domains as well. And they are.  

Study the photo of the board that we posted and you will see all of the above.  This dual, isolated domain data/power/clocking topology is completely unique to the EtherREGEN. And we believe it will result in the elimination of the effects of upstream jitter/phase-noise (which may be heard not because of jitter in the data—Ethernet does not mind that—but because of the effect on power planes; John is testing this and his hypothesis is deeper than what I am saying here).

That’s all I can type on my phone for now. Time to change the ice pack on my rib cage. :(

I am so sorry. I hope you get better soon.

cheers jorge

• 1 month later...

Alex, I am following this thread for almost an year on a daily basis. Now that we are approaching the end game, are you planning to develop a home made clock for the etherregen?

Thanks, 🙂

Jorge 

Thank you John for sharing with us your ideas and challenges behind designing a clock. Remarkable... and yes I agree with Alex! Yes an ‘expansive mind’ :-).

And yes it’s time for further details on the etherregen. And of course if you need an extra beta tester I am here!

Cheers,

Jorge

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also quite curious about the results using my OPPO 205. I recently bought an oM and I was quite surprise with the improvements I got when connected to my uR that feeds the 205 USB input. However the SQ delta I got using Ethernet was far less than I was expecting. And this with the  same files. So let’s wait for the eR... cheers Jorge

8 hours ago, DelsFan said:

Aside:  I assume I'm going to have to be the first one to power my modem and router via the JS-2 Linear Power Supply, to see if an LPS for modem and router makes any difference in sound quality (vs their respective wall warts)?

Thank for sharing your set up with us. Just to say that using a LPS I had an improvement in my set up (sound & image). Cheers Jorge

9 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I plan on getting the EtherRegen b side to optical module to optical rendu. Not sure if it will provide improvement in sq over my current setup with Cisco switch to optical module to optical rendu but worth a try. I wanted to use other a ports for other stuff so won’t run from optical port on EtherRegen. Maybe dumb question but is there any theoretical advantage of using one of the other A ports to connect to my AppleTV for home theater use, either improved video or audio?

Most probably. I felt a difference with my TV when first I used a Cisco and then when on top of the Cisco I used an oM. I guess the least sophisticated a TV is, better will be the results... 

• 5 weeks later...

Unbelievable! I also got mine!!!!!

Unfortunately I will received just in Monday as I have my office address. Goshhhh.

thank you so much Alex and John.

I guess I will be spending my weekend glued to this thread...

Cheers,

Jorge

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

So @roman410 you are the first, now you have the herculean task to listen carefully and write the best unbiased review of your life. There is no pressure but there are approximately hundreds of people awaiting your review. Good luck, may the force be with you soldier. 🖖

Meanwhile just a word, pleaseeeeeee!!!

Nobody was at the office when mine arrived. Will wait until Tuseday... 😩

It’s 9.00 pm and I decided to leave the Office. It didn’t arrive... 

Not sure what happened as they tried to deliver on Sunday. Perhaps tomorrow...

🤬

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Superdad said:

While we are busy, you can bet we will release more new products this year!

But given how busy we are it would be a distraction for us to reveal and begin discussing them too far in advance. I am trying to learn from past experience. 9_9

Here we go again! Great Alex! 

:-)

Cheers Jorge

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jonnylund said:

Hi guys
Fingers on the trigger for purchasing the ER :)

I have a UltraRendu. Any of you guys have that setup and if so, is the UR connected to the A or B side?

B side is my plan, but I think I read somewhere that the UR require a 1Gps connection and the B side is 100Mps.
So just want be sure before buying.

Cheers
Jonny

You’ll be fine. I am using eR (B side) to uR. 
oM feeding eR (A - fiber). 
Jorge

• 6 months later...

My 3 guesses:

i) A single box combining an etherRegen and a LPS

ii) A new IsoRegen

iii) A clock for the EtherRegen and or the new IsoRegen. 
I am almost certain on the first two. Some doubts on the 3rd one looking at the difficulties already shared by John.

I am already saving some money... 🙂

cheers Jorge

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

like to see an Ethernet to AES/EBU converter. (With NAA and RAAT). I’m quite sure something will happen here, but it probably take some time.

This is the Sonore ‘end point’ isn’t it? If yes it’s already available.

And you’re right the upgrade to 1G is also a strong possibility as Alex ( if I am not wrong)  confirmed that the chips are already available. Looking forward to the end of the year. 🙂

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Gentlemen:

While we appreciate your enthusiasm, please stop speculating or requesting regarding what we are developing. It is causing problems as I am now getting calls and e-mails from people asking if we are going to be replacing the EtherREGEN and asking about future models. >:( 

The current EtherREGEN is not going anywhere!  We intend to sell another million $ worth...9_9

While we have sketched on paper a much more elaborate version, it would require significantly altered topology, a large case, and to be priced in the $3K range.  This is NOT one of the new products we are currently working on.  The new products do not involve Ethernet--and they also are nothing like anything that anyone above speculated about.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Dear Alex,

While I understand your point of view and will respect your guidelines, this issue would not have  been raised if you would not have  announced new products by the end of this year. 🙂 Almost every people that follows the thread are quite enthusiastic about your company and grateful for the extraordinary products that you have launched over the years at an affordable price. So it was expectable to receive  some  comments on this issue. 
Kind regards,

Jorge

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

You’re wrong. Please look at sonore website. And their tread here. And we shouldn’t discuss Sonore products here. Especially rebranded ones. (Meaning not John Swenson design). 

I was not discussing Sonore here. That’s fair. The other product that can’t be mentioned was announced at the Sonore forum. Not sure who designed it. I just mentioned because as far as I now the 2 companies are working with John. And in my view, there have been trying to launch products for different markets:  UpTone with usb reclockers, LPS designed by John and now the etherregen; Sonore mainly with endpoints). Hope I made myself clear!!!

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, thyname said:

Wow! All this chatter on SFP and fiber. My advice: you are here, which means you bought (or about to buy) an EtherRegen, call it a day, stay with EtherRegen, no need to do anything else. I should know: I bought the EtherRegen at launch, first batch

Long time no see you! 🤗

Just to flag that at least for me fiber has improved the already extraordinary eR SQ! 
And by the way, try the Chinese Master Clock. It also makes a difference.

Kind regards,

Jorge