IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

what are your thoughts on where to place the new quiet switch in the following setup?

1.  NUC (running hqplayer embedded, music files on usb HDD) and much else feeding into a 24 port netgear switch

2.  netgear switch ouput via 50' cable to audio system via both cat6 and optical (then optical-ethernet conversion at audio end)

3.  at audio end of 50' runs, ultraRendu+lps1.2 into DAC

4.  NUC and switch is in basement at back of house, audio is on first floor at front of house, hence long cable run

so i see a number of options:

a. nuc=>uptone switch, clean port out to 50' cable to ultraRendu, dirty port connection to 24 port switch

b. nuc=>24 port switch, 50' run of either cat6 or optical going into uptone switch at audio end of house, output to ultraRendu

option a) eliminates going through the 24 port switch but has 50' run to ultraRendu

option b) places uptone switch closer to ultraRendu (probably mount in basement just below audio system)

but goes through 24 port switch

Thoughts on which configuration would be preferable?

an argument against option a:

i don't want to bottleneck data transfer in the house by running more than necessary audio data through the uptone switch, which doesn't support gigabit ethernet. 

option a would mean all music or video being moved or copied to/from the NUC's drives would be limited to a 10/100 port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: Early general details [We are late but getting closer! ;-)]
  • 3 months later...
On 6/2/2019 at 5:51 AM, BlueDL said:

I use an LPS-1 to power the uR in my existing set-up; this then feeds a Holo Audio Spring via a modded Singxer SU-1. I assume the same set-up would work with the uR replaced by an OR in the future.

If I decide to upgrade before considering the step to an OR, there is a good chance that UltraRendus will be available on the used market - although I acknowledge your comment about an IsoRegen being cost effective.

Also, you’ve reminded me that the optical feed from the EtherREGEN is probably going to be better implemented than the conversion within the OM, so yes, it does seem to defeat the object doing anything other than going ‘optical direct’ into an OR.

a while back, i had an ultraRendu feeding a usb==>aes/ebu box  (tried singxer and sotm dx-usbHD).

i had an lps-1.2 on the converter and a lps-1 on the Rendu.

then i purchased a second lps-1.2 for the ultraRendu and the improvement was large, even with a converter after the Rendu.

Lesson==>everything may or can matter...........we are still scratching the surface of what is going on here

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 1:37 PM, Superdad said:

Nah, it's just that our youngest child is graduating from high-school this Friday--and I'm a bit giddy about getting closer to being "empty nesters."  :P

but now you'll have to mow your lawn yourself, leaving less time for electronics  :)

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
1 hour ago, Superdad said:

So true.  What we suspect is that some things that mattered before will matter a LOT less, while other upstream variables will become MORE apparent. Discovering which will be the full of it for everyone! B|

evaluating the impact of a component must also be understood in context of the order, in time (which was added first) and space (in what order/position was it added)  in which things are done.

an engineering example is adding increasing diversity to a wireless communication system, where we can use time-diversity, space-diversity or frequency-diversity techniques, as well as any combination of these (e.g. 4G/5G cellular or the latest wifi standards). 

a generally observed empirical rule is that the last level of diversity often added provides the smallest improvement (even if it may provide the largest improvement when added alone).  all of this matters and makes critical evaluations very hard to do with all the variations possible.

enough pontificating here......let's get back to BUILD THAT MOAT! 

• 1 month later...