IGNORED

Beginner networking question

Here's my setup: main windows 10 pc has all my music on it. It runs JRiver MC23 and I have it running as a server.

I then have a Nuc, also running windows 10, connected to my receiver. The Nuc is also running MC23. 

I have the Nuc set up to play from the server library on the other computer and a separate setup where I just point the Nuc to my music folders on my pc.

Is there a preference as to which is better? Is it better to stream from the server or play the files directly from the pc (when pointing directly to the music files)?

Hope this even makes sense - I'm a networking novice. 

Thanks for your help.

If cost and time aren't a major factor, playing directly from the PC results in the best quality. Achieving that, though, requires significant specialization, tweeking, and expensive parts such as audiophile-grade USB controllers and PSUs among other design considerations.

Many people compromise and go the hybrid route -- similar to what you're doing, except with some upgrades to the streamer (the NUC in this case); swapping out the power brick with a linear PSU, adding USB filters/reclockers, possibly inserting an audiophile-grade network switch and/or LAN filter.

The largest upgrade to sound quality you can achieve with the minimum amount of expense is to:

1. Use a USB-SATA slitter cable to power the NUC's SSD externally using a common 5v USB charger.

2. Plug the NUC into a separate power circuit that is clean or unused (ie, another room without a bunch of electronics in it). Alternatively, use a audio-grade AC filtering unit.

Just doing these two things will get you most of the way towards peak sound quality in the streamer/NUC configuration.

The ultimate NUC method:

- Fanless NUC unit.

- High-end linear PSU.

- SSD split into a 5v USB battery.

- SotM CLK module upgrade.

- Audiophile Optimizer

- Add an audiophile network switch / LAN filtering / cabling and AC conditioning to top it off.