IGNORED

Headphones vs Speakers.....Go!

No contest, speakers for me, since forever. I only use headphones when I have to; for portability, monitoring vinyl rips and silence when my wife is asleep.

I'm glad to have them though. Headphones are about the music, my main audio system is about the music and audiophilia. Everything in my main system has to be just right or I'm very unhappy. With a headset, I can happily listen to music on my mobile phone, computer or tablet and not fuss about the quality. I do fuss about the comfort though. I can listen all day and all night through speakers and still want more. After two hours of headphones, I get uncomfortable.

I started out with Koss 4AA, then wore out a pair of Stax SR44, currently Grado SR60 and a surprisingly capable on-ear headset that I think came with a Walkman decades ago. I decided to get some better earbuds recently and bought a pair of 1More Triple Drivers. Dreadful sound due to a pronounced upper-midrange hump. Hyper-detailed but artificial sounding. They're going back. I'll try Beyerdynamic Byrons next.

There seems to be a clear preference for speakers in the responses so far. A poll would have been interesting. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 6 months later...