IGNORED

Good Class D amps ??

6 minutes ago, esldude said:

So that is very good, but not quite equal to the Benchmark measurements posted above or the other amp tested by Soundstage.net which btw is the large Bryston mono amp.  The only one to pass  the transparency listening test both sighted and blind by the Swedish AES. 

Damn.

Bel Canto ref150s, Mcintosh MC202 and 252--all sort of smooth, tonally adequate,but ultimately lacking punchy dynamics and enough detail for my tastes. Now, I once owned an incredible amp designed by Demain Martin and Richard Marsh-Marsh Sound Design. It was a 100 watt AB. That amp was amazing on all levels. I've owned some other tube stuff as well but always found it too billowy and slow. My current CIAs with Hypex Ucd modules tick all the boxes for me. But it all comes down to personal preference. For me they work. That's it. 

4 hours ago, emcdade said:

I had a NAD M12/M22 combo that I bought kind of on a whim after seeing lots of nice reviews and it measured very well.  They also had a ton of current delivery into a low ohm load so seemed to be a good match for Martin Logans.  They were OK with my ML Montis speakers but I soon tired of the panel speakers aversion to rock music:  dreadful.

I listened to Sopra 2's at a dealers very listening room that is pretty heavily damped and a real microscope for gear and speakers.  I loved their overall sound and they are just a very well made and great "all rounder" of a speaker.  I was sold.  I was listening to them on a pretty decent AVM integrated (class AB) and the Pass XA 30.8.

Next day I was very excited to bring my NAD combo in and see how they sounded with the Sopras.  It was not good.  Dry, sterile, clinical, boring, etc. etc. etc.  Now it could've been partly to blame on the room being pretty damped, but the Sopras are pretty truthful to the electronics behind them and this just wasn't going well despite my hopes.  I was really disappointed, time to eat thousands in loss on the used market!  The minute we switched back to Class A/B amps the sound improved.  Depth, width, height, tone, everything just became more natural and enjoyable with the NAD out of the picture.  The dealer even said "that is one of the best class D amps I've heard in here, but yeah, lifeless."

I now have a Perla Audio Signature 50 driving the Sopra 2's and couldn't be happier.

Synergy can be very elusive. 

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

So let’s explore the topic of “truth by popularity”. I’m going to prove statements made by Bruno Putzeys and we’ll see how it will be rejected because the fact isn’t self-evident but almost all unbiased observers would find it truthful all the same.

Other designers are dumb:

”At the core of the problem is fear of math. Even serious papers about power electronics for things like electric cars tend to resort to well established rules of thumb like “phase margin” and “gain bandwidth” rather than taking things from the ground up—even when the subject matter clearly requires it. So that meant little help was coming from the industrial power electronics community where you’d expect it to be most readily available.”

“A high-performance Class D amplifier contradicts every single item of audiophile superstition. Designing one is the ultimate test to see if you’ve got your head screwed on right.”

“Most audio companies have a core philosophy, like using a particular cone material, or use only FETs, or no feedback, etc. -- something that defines their identity. That hampers any serious attempt at solving problems. If, for mere reason of ego or identity, you’re not free to use any means available to solve a problem, you’re not going to do a good job.“

“What I’m saying is that we have to pull audio away from fairyland and back into engineering.”

This is just a short sampling. His writings are stuffed with commentary about how the industry is run by morons who can’t figure out the problems he’s solved on whatever he’s working on.

Yeah, but you accuse him of the same attitude you present yourself here on CA. Maybe your beef with class D is more of a personal dislike for Bruno?