IGNORED

A crowd funded motherboard(s) for audiophiles - Part 2

CUSTOM MOTHERBOARD DESIGN CHOICES - IS THERE A CONSENSUS ON REQUIREMENTS?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. In thinking about a crowd funded CA motherboard which form factor are you most likely to purchase and/or fund?

• Mini-ITX - 1 PCIE slot, may be possible to split into two
    • Micro-ATX - 4 PCIE slots
    • ATX - 6 PCIE slots

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/18/18 at 04:00 PM

hmm, can you use an optane drive with the Roon core linux distribution? Since I am opposed to ever connecting a PC directly to DAC, the SSD noise discussion doesn't matter to me, the faster speed of SSD does as well as supporting at least 2 drives other than the OS drive. Wondering if requirements will bifurcate based on whether the implementation is direct connect or networked...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

I was in the impressions that the goal for an audiophile motherboard was to remove everything that has no use to minimize pollution. At least that would have bin my prefered approach. Ofcourse there are 2 camps (upsample vs low footprint) that are hard to unify, so why not split in 2 projects.

If I look at the very good sounding X10SBA, eventhough it is a very small mini-itx, more then 30 connections are not needed in my setup. 1 sata2, 1 internal usb, 1 external usb, 1 pcie, 1 HDMI, 1 power molex input, 1 power molex output, 1 power off, 1 operating led and 1 memory slot is all I need. 

Another aspect of the mb should be reduction of EMI, focus on sheelding, quality voltage regulators and thick quality connections in the mb itself.

Not an expert though, but a dreamer, yes. As an R&D manager the firtst things to do when starting a project are:

* setup a goal,

* set up a scope

* determin condititions

* make a plan including timeline

* identify the go/no go’s (quitting takes balls)

* be very clear about milestones in your plan

* make sure everybody knows the above and agrees.

* make sure everybody is on track at each passing milestone

last but not least, assumption is the mother of all f*%k ups.

hmm, I'd call that the engineers approach for a non market driven project. Those of us that start design/ seek funding in projects for market

consumption know that the first  steps are

1) gather customer requirements

2) identify near term future technology needs that customers have little  insight into

3) prioritize 1 & 2  requirements above based on what customer is willing to pay for  and impact on purchasing decision

engineers of course have to inject themselves into step 3 to insure 1 and 2 are reality based

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

@The Computer Audiophile   

Chris, is there any way to add a list function for threads like this where information could be aggregated /updated by the thread owner. Or could the initiator of the thread have the option to add an update-able addendum to their initial note? One thing I hate about the site is having to plow through massive threads of mostly off topic banter to try to find nuggets of new information. And quite frankly I think there are individuals on this site who try to spam threads they disagree with, use lawyer white paper tactics to make a thread exhausting to wade through for useful information.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Are you going to pick up the role as project leader Davide?

@lmitche owns this thread and I'm just an interested party. A critical communication in the development ideation process is  a regular interval current summary "heres what we know now and where we are headed at this point"... keeps everyone on the same page and minimizes rediscovering the wheel. Would love to see a dated summary or what next analysis is needed to finalize requirements.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system