IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

35 minutes ago, mitchco said:

@Samuel T Cogley re: the consumer is always right - perhaps audio enthusiasts need to take a page out of the gamer enthusiasts playbook who used social media to boycott the sales of Battlefront 2. Seemed to be very effective.

Unlike the situation with the record companies, Electronic Arts is singularly evil when it comes to business practices.  They are consistently near or at the top of the list of most hated companies year after year.

Especially because streaming providers are at the front of consumer's music consumption experience, record companies gain some measure of insulation from consumer wrath.  Witness not only UMG's copious use of audible watermarking in their streaming content, but also how utterly powerless streaming providers are to do anything about it.  UMG hasn't even acknowledged they're doing it.  I can't see how any boycott or any other consumer action could be effective there.  UMG has no accountability to their consumers, period.

Gaming resonates with a multitude perhaps orders of magnitudes larger than music consumers.  While I agree that EA was shamed into scraping their over-the-top greed with Battlefront 2, I don't see how this could apply to the record labels.