IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

I am impressed: I have the clean side of my Allo digione Signature connected to the 1.2 and it stays really „cold“. Once I attached the RPI it got really hot. But with the Signature (65mA-90mA drain) it is not even hand warm. I don’t have my setup ready yet, so I don’t know if it „really“ plays music, but looking at the settings in Roon an playback shown in the app it is active. I suppose, that the 1.2 charges with longer pauses in between due to the low current which reflects the low temperature. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I have a Ultracap 1.2 powering my Allo DigiOne Signature. Stays cool and easy to forget about device. Well done engineering from my point of view. 

Unfortunately I am still not able to „hear“ something because my system is not ready yet and delivery will take time. 

Due to boredom and tinkering around with new Ghent Audio JSSG 360 cables :) I heard some click clack noise from the Ultracaps. It changes in frequency based on the current. Audible from 1-1,5m in a silent room (my ears are cat ears 👂 :)). I already red about that in the Ultracap 1 thread and also

mailed with @Superdad 

Statement was it is normal. I have no doubt that this is true + Amps are way louder with their transformers or other buzzing so I will surely live with it. 

But I am curious: Are all your Ultracaps working / sounding this way?  I am wondering if there is some electromagnetic field radiating at the time of that click noise, which could influence other devices (my Digione is directly sitting on the Ultracaps)? 

3 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And yes, I do not thing you should have all that great piled right on top of your UltraCap LPS-1.2.

Sorry my English seems to be insufficient: you mean it is too heavy or due to electrical noise and therefore distance?

As I said: Cat 🐱 ears 👂 hearing the roots  growing.  

I could hear it on my iPhone replaying the video :D 

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Heat. Interference. Possible mechanical amplification of the tiny tic noise the inductor sometimes makes when the unit alternates capacitor banks.

Try taking all that stuff off the top and see hear what results. But really nothing to worry about.  I am sure that the transformers of most all the other gear in your system make vastly more noise than the near-silent tic of an UltraCap unit. :)

Aaaa ok. Tried that also. No change. 

The heat is ok, but I will try to separate them from each other...

On 7/20/2019 at 12:25 AM, Superdad said:

Heat. Interference. Possible mechanical amplification of the tiny tic noise the inductor sometimes makes when the unit alternates capacitor banks.

Try taking all that stuff off the top and see hear what results. But really nothing to worry about.  I am sure that the transformers of most all the other gear in your system make vastly more noise than the near-silent tic of an UltraCap unit. :)

Hi! I just ordered this nice "mini hifi rack" to stack them appropriately rather than piling up a wobbly tower of tech :) This will work way better. 13cmx10cm and 4,5cm height per shelf. 

image.png.13aae9a13d17ec2564e23674b87698a9.png

image.png.7028b58d4fe27d33be83a39d02510e33.png

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

All 3 of the UltraCap LPS-1.2 units in my system have been running 24/7/365 for a couple of years now. One of them is powering a slim/fanless NUC running AudioLinux/NAA. 

Ok wow! How do you maintain the longevity of the supercaps? Are they similar to be seen as caps in regular LPS in regard if wear and tear? I am asking that, because I sense some smartness from John Swenson in that :) 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Blake said:

One of the many reasons why I will always choose to purchase from Uptone, rather than from their competitors, is that Alex always stands behind his products and provides impeccable customer service.  In the rare instance you encounter a problem, Alex will bend over backwards to take care of you.

This is why Uptone need a cool new website, whitepapers, lots of cool reviews and a big product family to please the crowd 😎🤘

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, we do not have a similar small model in the immediate plans.

We are 2-3 months out from production on a very advanced, triple-regulated, dual-output, 2/4A supply.

Below is a sneak peak of it without its rear panel or front LED PCB. Will begin posting more details in a few weeks.

image.thumb.jpeg.176e87097184139d10542d7778871fac.jpeg

Will this be higher or lower in price of the JS-2? Looks like same size, right? CE certification for EU usage?