IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

2 minutes ago, adamdea said:

Ah so the minimum time difference is equal to the difference which will cause a 1/2 lsb amplitude change in a 22.05Khz wave at the sampling instant.

Right. The 110 ps figure is for a full amplitude signal at the highest frequency, 22.05 kHz. This represents the best case. Now look at some other limit cases. For example, a full amplitude sine wave with a very long period, say a year, changes so slowly that it takes more than a minute to go from zero 1 LSB. At another extreme, a sine wave with an amplitude of 1 LSB needs a phase shift of 30° in order for a sample point initially at the zero-crossing to register a 1.

2 minutes ago, adamdea said:

I take your other points. On this one- it's not the point I was thinking about. That wasn't what would it take to make the lsb flip at peak it was more- for a sine wave being sampled at twice its frequency what is the minimum change in peak location (which might be  between the sample values) which can be detected from the samples. (perhaps this yields the same answer as your question what is the minimum time shift to generate a change in the lsb at the zero crossing). 

Sampling at exactly twice the frequency isn't allowed.

1 minute ago, adamdea said:

OK I know not to satisfy the sampling theorem , but you were using the example of a 22.05Khz  sine in a 44.1khz sampled system....

An infinitesimally lower frequency is allowed, so to calculate the limit of the time resolution, using the limit of the frequency is fine.

Just now, adamdea said:

I think the points I was making still stand with a frequency very lightly under half the sample rate. It is noted that the sampling intervals will change for each cycle of the wave.

If you're sampling just above twice the frequency, the phase accuracy for a small number of samples depends on the relative phase of the samples to the signal. If the samples are near zero-crossings, you get better accuracy. Over a longer period, you'll get some samples closer to the zero-crossing than others. I'm not sure what the worse case is.

4 minutes ago, adamdea said:

I think I make it either 4 x10^-8 seconds for sampling at peak .

cos-1[1-1/(2^16)])/2pi *22050                     since cos starts at peak, taking the minimum time diference to get the 1 to drop by 1 lsb .  

Does that look right?

Should be 1 - 1/2^15 since values are both positive and negative.

9 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Let me ask you guys.  Is it possible I prefer the minimum phase reconstruction filter because its own phase distortion during playback is negating the phase distortion introduced during analogue to digital capture/encoding? 

That's unlikely. Audio equipment tends to use either linear phase (no distortion) or minimum phase (delayed high frequencies). What you suggest would mean some step in the processing used a filter skewed towards maximum phase. I've never heard of anything doing this, and I can see no reason why anyone would want it.