IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

6 hours ago, semente said:

I'm an hour's drive away and could take some cheese for the wine.

Always wanted to listen to the Tunas and Peter's DAC. :D

I am far away and am not likely to FedEx the listeners Scotch, cheese or wine, but can provide this over the internet:

Confirmation Bias in a bottle.jpg

11 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Re-attempt :

current draw (no matter how small) will influence the DAC's jitter response and that is what we hear. ...

ok, so how would bit identical files alter current flow?

or are you not persuaded that they sound different, or can sound different?

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Through the varying effects of the outer ear and head on sounds arriving from different directions. A stationary source is difficult to localise without slightly moving your head. Regular microphones capture none of this. Binaural recordings heard through headphones can get partway, but they are still quite limited, just like a stereoscopic image is a far cry from a full hologram.

The above is for a skull clamped in a vise.  Au naturele, you will make tiny unconscious head movements as well.

Ears are rarely set at the same level on skull too.

3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Technology, engineering development, rational thinking are marvellous tools for evolving the physical mechanisms used for audio reproduction - but when they try to use the same methodology to give simplistic, unsophisticated 'explanations' for how our hearing mechanisms work, how we make sense of what's heard - then it's being used the "wrong way".

yes, rather than scientific analysis and rational thought, it will be MUCH better to paint yourself blue and dance around an oak tree

true understanding will come

1 minute ago, mansr said:

That's the point I was trying to make.

Indeed, and it annoys my sense of symmetry.

yah - thought I'd clarify a bit - I used to teach this stuff to under-grads. so am versed in how ot get it across...

is symmetry conserved?  I'll go ask the Walrus.  or the Lagrangian...

On 2/16/2018 at 3:53 PM, fas42 said:

I only recently heard Jazz at the Pawnshop - and wondered what the fuss was about ... I have plenty of jazz recordings that are far more 'captivating' than this particular example, in terms of the "spatial experience", and the sense of the whole - guess I just don't have audiophile ears, whatever those strange things are ...

can you list them?

the fuss is about the SQ - I can't get nearly that SQ on my DSD originals of Buddy Bolden playing live at the Fisk School 

12 hours ago, mansr said:

If you measure the angle occupied by the moon when near the horizon and again when high in the sky, you get almost exactly the same value. Nevertheless, the rising or setting moon is often perceived as twice the size of the moon when (more or less) overhead. Atmospheric refraction can't explain this.

my understanding is that no one has yet fully explained the perceptual size inflation...