IGNORED

Your experience in ripping/ playing opera/concert blue rays?

I'm wondering if anyone on the site is an opera fan and if so what they have found to be their best playback option. On general principle

I won't buy opera on DVD, sound tracks always seem to be quality compromised. What I am trying now is ripping the initial blu ray titles I have

to mkv and streaming to an Oppo103. I've already encountered that mkv will mess you up ripping non english opera since the main title is in a foreign language;

had to manually select the foreign language sound track.

Having gone done the wrong path initially in audio with ripping to wav,  then redoing all to flac, I'd really like make the right initial choice in storing and

playing a blue ray library.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Not an answer to your question, but do you know an opera streaming service with good audio quality?  

I tried listening to the (NY) Met Opera streaming service via Roku's HDMI output, and the audio quality was terrible!  I complained to the Met and received no response.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Not an answer to your question, but do you know an opera streaming service with good audio quality?  

I tried listening to the (NY) Met Opera streaming service via Roku's HDMI output, and the audio quality was terrible!  I complained to the Met and received no response.

hmm, do you have the Roku connected to an AVR? I have a Roku Premiere, wish I'd waited for the Roku Ultra as the Premiere's processor lacks horsepower.  I wouldn't blame the Met, this sounds like a Roku output limitation. Something else that looks possible is screen mirroring from your PC, use it as the audio source and mirror

the video to the Roku for video display?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/roku-screen-sharing-android-windows/

Don't know anything about opera streaming services, the Oppo  comes with a Berlin Philharmoniker subscription option, runs about $15 a month or $150 a year, I have

yet to give it a try..

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/home

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

do you have the Roku connected to an AVR?

The Roku Streaming Stick 3600 connects to the HDMI input of an Oppo 103, which functions as an audio/video signal splitter.  The Toslink output of the Oppo connects directly to an exaSound DAC, and an HDMI output of the Oppo connects to the TV.  No AVR.  

The Oppo should be decoding the highest resolution version of the audio it receives from the Roku and sending it as PCM to the DAC.  It occurs to me that I should verify this by posting a question to the Oppo 103 owners forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1432162-official-oppo-bdp-103-owner-s-thread-833.html 

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

7 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The Roku Streaming Stick 3600 connects to the HDMI input of an Oppo 103, which functions as an audio/video signal splitter.  The Toslink output of the Oppo connects directly to an exaSound DAC, and an HDMI output of the Oppo connects to the TV.  No AVR.  

The Oppo should be decoding the highest resolution version of the audio it receives from the Roku and sending it as PCM to the DAC.  It occurs to me that I should verify this by posting a question to the Oppo 103 owners forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1432162-official-oppo-bdp-103-owner-s-thread-833.html 

I think the Roku only plays H.264 codecs for audio  (mp4 format). That may be part of what you are seeing.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

hmm, epic failure using  a DS416play to stream MKV blue ray video to the 103 over its wifi adaptor, persistent intermittent stutter. Works fine over USB. Wifi is limited to"N" 2.4ghz

and  Ethernet port is FE/100M. Going to try streaming from PC next, if that doesn't work without stutters, then I may have to consider buying an Oppo203 . But hey, the 203

can be a Roon endpoint which the 103 can't.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Having gone done the wrong path initially in audio with ripping to wav,  then redoing all to flac, I'd really like make the right initial choice in storing and playing a blue ray library.

I've always ripped to wave my CD's(16/44) and DVD's(16/48) with absolutely no problems using EAC and DVD audio extractor. Storage is cheap and playback presents no problems. Wave is the best but differences are marginal with flac.

I've ripped(Acrok Video) some personal Blueray's but always copied as original source dictates directly to drives. I go for the PCM stereo tracks at its highest level: ie 24/48, 24/96 or 24/192. Bearing in mind that not many music bluerays are above 24/48 audio, which is disappointing as 24/96 is better. Mind you I enjoy the live performance on screen so include the video. I don't run surround audio.

I have compared BR disc to ripped and couldn't hear a difference. I still play hard discs generally in my new Oppo 205, it all looks great and sounds excellent even the old DVD's. The convenience when using remote with a hard disc is still hard to beat.

Robert