IGNORED

Computer-based Streaming with Ayre QX-5

A friend of mine is purchasing an Ayre QX-5 and will initially be using it with his transport.  He would like to get into computer audio at some point.  What is the preferred, albeit simplest, way to use the QX-5 to play music that he has on his NAS?  Should he just use the mconnect app?  That's what the dealer suggested trying.  I know Synology also has a streaming player which can be used.  He isn't that computer savvy so I'd like to set something up for him that he can easily use.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

The QX-5 is Roon Ready, so control by an iPad or iPhone, Android is straight forward enough.

I'm not sure A Roon Server can install on any NAS though, for the moment on QNAP and Synology NAS is it. Have a look here at Roon downloads for NAS. 

All computer systems take 'some' time with setup, but Roon is about the easiest, HQPlayer the hardest, Jriver is also a steep learning curve. The latter two are best installed on Windows or OSX.

The QX-5 has a direct Ethernet connection, so no spaghetti devices much required either, just a cable to a router/switch.

I think your friend can work with this pretty much unattended, he already knows how to copy files onto the NAS for new music, that's the maintenance aspect all taken care of, Roon does the rest.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I didn’t realize that jriver works with Ethernet DACs.  I have always used it via USB.  That may be an option since I can set it up for him.

Thanks.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific