IGNORED

Did some easy DAC mods

A pair of dual Burson opamps, added Multicap capacitors to the opamp rails and a DEXA 5V regulator in place of a 7805.

I have another, smaller pair of Cardas caps I'd like to test on the pair of mono opamps, but I don't know the power pinout....? 

20180106_143916.jpg

20180106_144219.jpg

20180106_143926.jpg

21 minutes ago, davide256 said:

hmm, multicaps. Ok for a digital section but not for analog amplification. You might find the link below interesting reading. I'm a fan of Clarity cap as a good

overall line for analog circuits.

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm

Why not analog? 

That's an interesting article... Very subjective but interesting... 

Also an interesting read... 

http://www.partsconnexion.com/PDF/mcap.pdf

29 minutes ago, kilroy said:

What changes does each of these mods make to the sound? 

I'm not an electronics guy, I suppose the voltage regulator requires soldering? And the opamps just plug in?

Capping opamps is a popular mod... 

Different caps and different values will change certain aspects of the sound. I find these caps make the stage a little more detailed and maybe a tad wider... 

The reg needed soldering, yes. Easy, 3 leg TO package 7805 regulator,  a bread and butter 5VDC unit. The DEXA regulators are pretty inexpensive as well. Power mods like this just help with a cleaner or crisper sounding product generally... 

The opamps just plug in, yes... A DIP8 socket. Opamps come in many different flavours... Most are DIP8 chips, while the Burson's are discrete. Much better sound than the old JRC5532's that came with the DAC. 

Been there, done that with  DACs for discrete op amps and cap . The discrete component Burson replacements are a no brainer for better signal resolution when replacing OP amps.  The Multicaps however are shrill, unpleasant. I went with them first on an Adcom DAC, couldn't stand them, replaced with Audiocap Thetas.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 1/6/2018 at 3:05 PM, WuNgUn said:

A pair of dual Burson opamps, added Multicap capacitors to the opamp rails and a DEXA 5V regulator in place of a 7805.

I have another, smaller pair of Cardas caps I'd like to test on the pair of mono opamps, but I don't know the power pinout....? 

20180106_143916.jpg

20180106_144219.jpg

20180106_143926.jpg

The replacement caps need better layout. A small stacked film cap will offer better bandwidth. Plus the leads are 10x longer than optimal. 

I like a Siemens stacked film soldered directly to the pins of the opamp. The leads are about 1/8” long. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

13 hours ago, Panelhead said:

The replacement caps need better layout. A small stacked film cap will offer better bandwidth. Plus the leads are 10x longer than optimal. 

I like a Siemens stacked film soldered directly to the pins of the opamp. The leads are about 1/8” long. 

Those are stacked caps.... Internally. 

I agree about the lead length as well... Not optimal.