IGNORED

Article: Readers Choice Awards 2017

On 06/01/2018 at 12:36 AM, ElviaCaprice said:

The media player, via bit perfect stream, should never sound different SQ wise regardless of choice of software.  If it is then you got other server/streaming issues.  So your really paying for features in Roon.  Which is fine, I get it.  For myself, JRiver has all the features I desire and then some over Roon at a far more reasonable cost.

What you need to remember that bit perfect comes with a caveat of signal integrity. The bits get through but what else rides on those bits is what affects what you hear from an electrical perspective.

JRiver has towed that line long enough bit perfect yadayada, their DSP has misgivings that alter what you hear, compared to Roon or HQplayer.

ive listened to JRiver for close to 2 years and recently tried Roon and enjoy what I hear. The option is open to use HQplayer for directly connected DACs that aren’t networkable which the closed mind of JRiver could not accomplish.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

20 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

For example, I can stream my music library from JRiver anywhere because they provide the ability to assign a TCP port and an app which will connect to the server.  I can be listening to my library in my car and at work through JRiver.  Not through Roon.  Roon chokes on the large number of albums I have.  An artist with several hundred albums causes Roon to stutter and freeze.  This doesn't happen with JRiver.  I can easily mass edit metadata with JRiver.  I wouldn't waste my time with metadata in Roon, it's incredibly cumbersome.

The Roon remote like listening in the car from your own server is coming according to @Em2016.

For the large number of albums, the maximum number I have for the Beatles is 26, Roon lists all of them without a problem.  JRiver's editing stays with Jriver's database, it doesn't update the file's metadata, unless there's a command that's obscured somewhere in the labyrinth.

Anyway there's a thread on Jriver vs Roon.

38 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

According to Roon not me :-)  Public information

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/mobile-music-sync-and-streaming-on-roadmap/15249/2

Mobile solution is confirmed to be on their roadmap.

On the roadmap means just that and nothing more, i.e. no timeline. Maybe this year? Maybe next year? No one knows.

RealVnc, JRiver could use the same system of authentication, it’s painless from an end user perspective. 

If you have the bandwidth JRiver streams lossless, but RAAT would have to change their protocol somewhat to fit and maintain the remote connectivity while negotiating tunnels, the real ones with trucks and trains.

Thanks for the link!