IGNORED

MQA - A clever stealth DRM - Trojan

crenca

55 minutes ago, crenca said:

This is a key point, one that goes to the heart of why the art & wine, radically subjectivised audiophile and "audiophile press" have been (quite literally) hoodwinked into thinking about MQA as just another sound quality tweak.  A culture of radical subjectivism of course fosters this attitude, but I wonder if that explains the whole phenomena??  Such folks can't claim ignorance, as audio has had Dolby, MP3, SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.etc. (granting the differences of each of those).  They also live in the 1st world with the rest of us, and are certainly aware of the effect DRM has had in Video.

The attempts at arguing that MQA is not DRM (which presupposes an erroneous "copy protection" or similar definition of DRM) are, well, delusional...

Sigh. Look, when MQA introduces DRM, then we can can all point to when they said otherwise and call Stuart a liar. Until then, it’s just an imaginary boogeyman.

1 hour ago, Don Hills said:

On the contrary, it's very real.

The encryption scheme used is very good (and expensive). You can bet that it was included to make MQA more attractive to the record labels. And you can also bet the labels will be tempted to use it if MQA becomes the dominant format.

Another problem with MQA is that it requires specific hardware. What happens when/if MQA dies in the marketplace and DAC manufacturers stop paying the license fee and drop support in their new DACs? There have already been several cases where DRM schemes have folded, leaving people with music they can no longer play.

And for those who say that you can still play the undecoded MQA, remember that the currently encoded MQA files don't use the optional degradation functions. The undecoded quality can be reduced to a level where you can barely recognise the music being played.

This definition also applies to SACDs, but I don’t recall anyone accusing Sony of trying to push DRM via SACD.

I bought a 2L MQA album. Nothing’s stopped me from playing it where I want how I want, upload to or give it to whoever I want. If I want to unfold the SQ benifits from MQA I need a DAC that supports MQA. Just like if I want to benifit from DSD quality I need a DSD capable DAC, and if I want to get the benifit from 352 kHz files I need a 352 kHz capable DAC. It’s just a format — the main wrinkle being that it’s a format that’s trying to secure itself against fruad (ie, hi-res tracks that were just upsampled Redbook all over HDTracks, etc). This is not DRM, as there is no rights management or enforcement mechanism. If such DRM mechanisms show up in the future, we can all call Stuart and MQA liars.

3 hours ago, FredericV said:

Why do you believe this? Why does MQA needs strong crypto? To protect the crown jewels.
With MQA you don't get access to the master, but you get the right to lisen to some approximation of the master, only on MQA dacs.

This is a clear form of DRM.

Do you actually believe this, or is it just a party line you have to follow to be a part of the anti-MQA crowd?

Oppos don't allow streaming of SACD externally, you need an after-market mod for that to work.

Sony doesn't allow SACD to be streamed externally from SACD players unless the stream is encrypted, which is why you only see that feature in proprietary connection schemes in certain products (dCS, McIntosh, etc).