IGNORED

Broadband Modem failed, total network meltdown

There was a moderate electrical storm Saturday night, the power remained on, but the Internet didn't work. Oh well, let's look at the router, see what the story is. No WAN. OK, the ISP does have its problems, checked with the iPhone any outages, no, none in the area.

Checked the Broadband Modem an Arris CM820, and no lights not even the power. Checked the power cord at the modem, 116V AC, all good. Just nothing from the modem.

Problem is no internet means the wired and wireless network doesn't work. I can't see any other machines or the printer on the network despite having an IP address for the local network, nor can the iPhone login on the local network, other than to fix the router, which obviously can't be achieved. Until a new modem arrives on Tuesday, the house is without fast Internet.

RealVNC needs the Interent to remotely switch on the music server, the local ability is now lost. So it means to walk downstairs and select an album from JRiver, so there's some music. Can't use Jremote, cause it uses the interent to control a local server.

There's the alternative to listen to SACD and CD, also a novel idea around CA, and this is working, no problem.

For essentials, there's the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone that works OK.

I could mess around with various settings to get the local network operational, but would have to reverse everything once the new modem is commissioned. TOO HARD Basket.

If someone was a Tidal nutter, there's none, or a Deezer, Qobuz without chewing gobs of mobile data. Problem is, a service is taken for granted until it's not there, and it sure it noticeable! Has taught me a valuable lesson, in not to rely on the Internet, cause one day it won't be there.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Garry

Sorry to hear this, as you appear to have had pretty severe weather recently.

What surprises me though , is that with all the precautions that you take to avoid this kind of problem,

that this happened. Perhaps it came via the Broadband cable ?

Years ago, a nearby lightning strike vaporised an underground phone cable into the house in Lane Cove in Sydney.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

45 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Garry

Sorry to hear this, as you appear to have had pretty severe weather recently.

What surprises me though , is that with all the precautions that you take to avoid this kind of problem,

that this happened. Perhaps it came via the Broadband cable ?

Years ago, a nearby lightning strike vaporised an underground phone cable into the house in Lane Cove in Sydney.

Alex

As far as I know, the cable to the modem is an RG58 something, so copper. From the street though it's fibre (the old Cable channel network). There are no other appliances in the house that failed, nor did we receive a direct hit either. The power that feeds the modem comes from a Furman sequencer which has a heavy AC filtering and over voltage protection, and that didn't activate this time although it has in the past and just shutdown everything, like it's supposed to do.

I suppose if there are cable faults, it'll be picked up during testing. Maybe there's a spark gap suppressor needed on the broadband cable or at the box where the conversion from fibre to copper is.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA