IGNORED

Does a DAC need a pre-amp

1 minute ago, STC said:

Anyone tried experimenting with Mytek's digital and analogue's volume? 

In my case, I am using Mytek (the old 192 DSD) as DAC/ preamp often setting the volume in analogue mode. I don't think I could easily identify one to be better than the other. 

I have tried both analogue and digital volume control on my Brooklyn DAC. Analogue is warmer sounding with extended depth and a bit more "alive". Digital volume sounds more clear in the treble area but a bit flatter/"duller" in my setup. I prefer analogue volume, but would be great to be able to select a little bit of both. I wouldn't mind the improved treble.

🎛️  Audio System  

36 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Is this the one with the optional 12V PSU ?

If it is, have you tried a very low noise12V PSU with it ?

I noticed that the one I looked at said a "Worldwide PSU"

Is it SMPS, and if it is have you tried the earthing trick"?

The Brooklyn DACs internal SMPS is already grounded as another CA member have reported. I have tried external but found the internal a rad better. I am looking for a better valuable option, but are in no hurry.

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, STC said:

So maybe not a real analogue volume. Someone can explain what's the difference between resistor and programmable analogue volume control?

I do not know the exact construction of Brooklyn´s analogue volume control, but I would be extremely surpriced if it is not a analogue volume control at all. I can just verify that Brooklyn have an option to change between digital and analogue volume control in the settings. Not which kind of analogue volume control they use.

Here is what I found Google about it:

The volume control in the Brooklyn offers two options; a 1dB step analog attenuator, separate for main out and headphones, or a 1dB step digital 32-bit attenuator with a "bypass" option (bypasses all faders) for a purer path (in electronic terms). There are also 4 internal -6db gain jumpers to mate the Brooklyn's output level to your amp.
Read more at https://www.audiostream.com/content/mytek-brooklyn-dac-0#JlTTvdbL6azLQZjw.99

🎛️  Audio System  

1 hour ago, STC said:

That was the reason I chose digital(for accuracy) but sometime the DAC resets itself to analogue. The difference is impossible to tell via sound coming out my speakers. I think Archimago did a measurement of Mytek's volume and he too thought the digital is better in all aspects.

So far I have only evaluated the digital- vs analogue volume control on the Brooklyn DAC via my Fostex TH900 balanced headphones. I recently merged my speaker setup together with my headphone rig and will see if it that opinion holds true with speakers. 

On a side note there where actually one time that I did prefer the digital volume over analogue. It lasted while I had the DC- output of my floating SMPS powering my ISO Regen grounded. Removing that grounding improved SQ (possible leakage) and made me choose the analogue volume control again. Please note that I am NOT saying you have any of these issues. Only telling my own experience since it was related to the volume control. It could support the fact that the digital volume control measures better though?

🎛️  Audio System