IGNORED

CLOCKS, what should we look for in next generation

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

BTW, here's the plot for an eye-poppingly great OCXO we have been looking at.  Have no idea the cost yet--likely $600 a piece.  But check it out: -110dBc/Hz at 1Hz, -143 at 10Hz!  (this is 10MHz part, but even in the mid-twenties audio clock range these are spectacular).

10MHz.png.1a4e921d17bd6b06c8c1d57aad98c900.png

Yup, pretty good even for 10 MHz!  Do they have plots for audio rate OCXOs?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

My question would be how good the clock performance is after feeding 10 MHz clock through DPLL to generate actual clocks needed for audio...

I'm hardly getting excited about any clocks anymore until I see measured proof of the final performance from DAC output...

While I tend to agree, I would get excited if i could purchase a DIP packaged XO @45.1584 with <115 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz, or a 27.5792 with <120 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz for $500.00 USD or less.  Just for bragging rights and subjective testing.  I would want to receive a phase noise plot for each individual clock as well.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm quite happy with my CCHD-957's. Anyway the clock module is rarely the performance limiting factor. Especially on wider scale there are so many bigger things to work on in the D/A converter itself...

Like I said, I agree, mostly...  But I would like to try something better here anyway, just to satisfy my curiosity.  If I did then hear a difference I do have access (not really super easy access) to an AP for testing the DAC output...

SONORE computer audio

33 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'd be curious to see J-test24 results for various different clock modules if you can easily swap them!

Yeah, well if I could get the desired "better" clock it would be possible.  Unfortunately the one XO which used to be available (Pulsar Clock) is no longer, and I am not aware of other drop in clocks with this kind of performance/price at audio frequencies without having a custom frequency run done with MOQs I could not afford...

Anyone know of alternative XOs at 45.1584 MHz with < -115 dBc/HZ @ 10 Hz spec (confirmed performance) to the Pulsar Clock at anything close to reasonable prices?  NDK DuColon is too expensive...

The DAC for testing uses a socket, so clocks can drop in...

SONORE computer audio

5 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Define the output noise level first. ^_^

You mean the analog noise floor of the DAC?  I would not do it first, as I have to ship the DAC to where the AP is for testing, but then the full range of tests can be done.

I would add in terms of the J-Test, I am generally more interested in the spread of the skirt than the floor and sidebands (unless they are rather extreme)...

SONORE computer audio

22 minutes ago, Miska said:

Of course there must be no side bands at all, otherwise you have correlated jitter which comes from clock line interferences (usually PSU or PCB design).

So far, one of the best figures I've got is from Holo Spring 2 running at DSD256. And no COTS DAC chips, but just a discrete implementation.

HoloSpring2_Jtest24_DSD256.thumb.png.c0d55f042535436238faed5f090ad73e.png

Yes, wish Holo would put a good volume control in their DACs I might just pick up one of those then.  I am scared to rely just on HQP VC.  My DSC-2 build with analog VC from Pavel's board is coming along well...

SONORE computer audio

@Miska, I will defer to your expertise then!

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, Miska said:

With HQPlayer Embedded I'm much less worried since the OS doesn't run or have any other audio applications or sounds. But on Windows or macOS I would be more nervous.

How much less worried?  In my set up I have to run pretty high gain in order to accommodate some low average level files (like Channel Classics, for example), and I have to attenuate the signal by at least -5 dB to accommodate oversampling to DSD and avoid clipping there.  This is definitely a case where I could clip the amp.  I wish I could just run the HQP volume control, as I would prefer that to analog, but the analog volume does give me safety.  I do not want to be replacing (somewhat expensive) drivers...

I am using a Muses chip (laser trimmed resistor ladder on a chip VC) with my DSC board right now, I did listen without it (under controlled circumstances) and with it, and it it seems to be really good from a subjective POV (transparent or very close subjectively, i could not A/B it quickly), but still, I am strong believer in digital VC when reliable and possible, and do rely on it with my ESS based DACs, even with high gain.

SONORE computer audio

28 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Digital volume control is the way to go - IME, analogue gain adjustment and trimming is always a weakness, unless the most extreme quality devices can be used.

Agreed, but with DSD there are few options for such, HQP is one, but controlling the volume via computer based software may be risky.  In my case I am talking about running the DAC(s) always at DSD 256 or 512.

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, mansr said:

From Stereophile:

JVS: You don't believe in using an external word clock. Why?

EM: Because I think this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard in the audio business. That means you have a precision clock that you have to connect to a wire to connect to a DAC, when the clock should be straight away where it belongs, inside the DAC, beside the DAC chip, if there is such a thing—not through a cable in a different box. This is so idiotic, it's not even funny. It's a money grab.

I suppose that would be Ed Meitner?

SONORE computer audio

It is always nice to hear when an experienced digital engineer make no nonsense statements like that.

SONORE computer audio