IGNORED

Ayre Codex, Lampizator Amber, Schiit Yggy, exaSound e32, and Ayre QX-5, DAC Comparison  -A Short Story

I assume mileage will vary with other people's ears and systems.  My apprehension with sharing my opinion is that it wouldn't match with the general community. But oh well.  I have also learned that a single component can drastically affect the synergy of the system as a whole and I haven't experience that in my past systems. It seems you really have to marry these components well as one piece that doesn’t play well with another will impact the overall presentation greatly.  But to the question of reference tracks, there are so many but I can answer one before I'm off to work. Adele 19, Chasing Pavements (Live At The Hotel Cafe) starts with an acoustic guitar in the left speaker.  The first three plucks of the guitar moved closer and closer to being in the room with me as the sound quality move toward the QX-5/20. Later in the song that guitar would occasionally step forward on the stage of sound to challenge Adele as the leader of the band, then would ease back into the accompanying role.  The Maggies produce acoustic guitar sounds extremely well and it bordered on being a live performance, right in front of me. The sound of Adele's voice became increasingly round and smooth the closer I moved down the line to the QX-5/20.  The other DACs each had a tad bit more grain applied to her voice.  Another nuance that stood out consistently in that track occurred at 2:19 of the track. I envision that Adele really gets into the performance and seems over sings her voice slightly and turns away from the mic. In that brief silence there is are two clinks in the distance, as if a metal spoon strikes a porcelain saucer while the busser cleared the table? Or maybe it was entered in post-production to minimize the sound of her clearing her throat? Who knows... But it was how each DAC handled that moment in the performance that painted a different mental picture of what my mind was hearing.  The QX-5 Twenty put you in that café, center stage, five rows back and the busser is off stage behind her leaving blemishes on the track of a live performance. The e32 did a great job of putting me in that café as well.  The others had different and good representations of this performance but the e32 and QX-/20 really put me in the seat.

Ok, another quick reference track comment and then off to work I go.  So, the Yggy is an excellent product.  I did have a problem with dot matrix rate display format, but sound quality wise it was a beast with detail and very impressive overall.   I never unplugged it until I went to put it into the box and mail it back. It was virtually playing music until the moment I made the final decision.  To your point the Yggy excelled on portions of Reference Track #2,  The Long Day Is Over, by Nora Jones.  That track begins with a few chords from a keyboard, and then the crescendo of the snare drum rolls in to introduce the other instruments followed by Norah’s voice. That drum snare crescendo went to a different level of subtlety with the Yggy. The  Yggy handled that instrument very, very well. But the tone of her voice had a smoother, rounder representation with the e32 for me.  Then the electric guitar, I believe that what I’m hearing, is another instrument in there that kinda waves back and forth as it plays, softly pulsating at times.  The e32 made that representation more visceral, the notes and tones seemed palpable.  The Yggy was more analytical with it’s presentation.  How I graded the e32 over the Yggy is probably more a byproduct of the music selections I play and how I like to hear them.  There are certainly no losers in this comparison; I wish I could keep them all. No need to talk anyone off a ledge.

21 hours ago, beetlemania said:

That was a LOT of new gear in a short amount of time. So, what *is* your current system?

Currently my big rig includes the QX-5/20, KX-5/20, PASS LABS 250.8, Marantz AV7005, Parasound JC1 for the center channel, Lexicon 512 for the surround channels, OPPO 105D, Martin Logan DEPTHi sub, Maggie 3.7i's, RM 1.3 GENIE turntable, Sonos Connect, Maggie CC2 center, Martin Logan Fx Motion rears, KANEX PRO HDMI de-embedder.  And as of this very morning, with the help and courtesy of Peter at TheCableCo Lending library, in the two-channel portion of my system I have a full loom of Audience AU24 SX (1.5m XLR, 1m XLR, and 10ft AU24 SX speaker cables). On the home theatre section I have an assortment of other interconnects like Tributaries, Transparent, BlueJeans, Monster and generic cords. I run ROON and JRiver23 with a little Dell Inspirion Laptop i3 2.3GHz, 8Gb Ram, Windows10, 120Gb SSD, with two 1Gb SSD drives for additional storage. Recently elevated with eight PANGEA amp stands and racks.  And I have a strong suspicion I will be liquidating my small rig to continue to afford all of the aforementioned.

18 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

BTW, did your Yggy have the Gen 5 USB upgrade in it?

Only if they shipped it with that upgrade.  I also didn't make any firmware updates to any of the units.  I just pulled them out of their boxes and plugged them in.  Because it was all new equipment I didn't think to check.  However the QX-5/20 did make a network upgrade on it's own.   I will try to reach out to Schiit to try to confirm.  If the Yggy did not have the best and most up to date equipment that will not bode well for my therapeutic recovery.  I am not sure that I mentioned that I am almost completely new to this HiRez music format and I have found there is a lot to learn.  Previously I would play SACDs and DVDAudio disks thru my OPPO 105D.  I also used the OPPO to play all of my FLAC and DSD files.  Prior to two months ago I never owned Roon or JRiver. I had by OPPO and didn't see the need.  Then I auditioned the Codex and bam, look at my system now. It was a quick an tumultuous drop into this abyss but I never new all of my music could sound soo good. 

3 hours ago, beetlemania said:

Thanks for the reply. Your write-up made it clear you liked the QX-5 the best but this part

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:53 PM, MJ-10 said:

I was enjoying 95% of this sound quality for a fraction of the price with the e32.

led me to believe you went with the e32. I'm sure your system sounds fantastic, have fun!

I shipped the e32 back the day after I made the post. It wasn't until the FedX guy had the box on his side of the counter, did I truly make my final decision.  Prior to that I had it in the box and pulled it out twice for one last listen. Twice...   I could have made a last millisecond chance to keep the e32 and save some money, but ultimately I want to see just how good the QX-5/20 can sound after 1000 hrs.  I failed to mention I received a great deal on a mildly used demo QX-5/20 with only a few hours on it, so that helped to make the final decision a little easier.  If I had paid full retail, I am not sure the final decision would have gone to the QX-5/20; back to those diminishing points of return vs. disposable income challenges.  I also want to get my hands and ears on the PlayPoint as it has ROON SERVER capabilities and I can let my laptop go back to being a computer. Again, I am an enthusiast and not a real audiophile, and really closer to a novice when it comes to ROON and JRiver.  Working my music files between all these apparatuses confuses the QX-5/20 and or myself at times and can get a little frustrating.  I assume if I were to pick one program to use and stuck with it maybe muscle would set in for the both of us.  I guess I'm saying that maybe the PlayPoint  will improve the e32 sound quality and would be a better fit for me and my system as I use my stereo to get away from my work/laptop, and if the sound quality gap is minimized enough I can put the QX-5/20 on Audiogon and get most of my investment back, and still save thousands. TBD. Maybe.....

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

That roughly $2k price point is a real sweet spot for DACs right now, after which a serious case of diminishing returns sets in.

I know this is not the proper thread for this question and I don't want this to get too tangential, but what are your thoughts about the affects of interconnects/speaker cables and their diminishing points of return? I have my thoughts on the subject, as I have been letting the full bloom of AU24 SX's settle into my system for the past few hours.  Anybody????

Well, not exactly.  On a new purchase I have a habit of trying to keep all of my manuals, cords, bags packaging and accessories as untouched as possible.  The goal is to have the product appear as next to new as possible should I ever have the notion to sell or trade the unit.  Consequently I use the power cords that are unused and swimming in what my wife calls a "rats nest" of wires residing behind my system. I just recently purchased my first aftermarket PowerChord by Audience.  Prior to purchasing the PowerChord I had yet to actually hear a difference in any of the power cords I had auditioned. The e32 used the standard power unit but the long power cord that rests between the powersupply and the wall outlet was replaced with a 6" version to help keep the nest from growing. The other DACs used the cords I had already available and are all sizeable products and assumed to be adequate, but they were not all OEM.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 12:53 PM, leftside said:

I'm also considering another Lampizator for another room. Probably the regular Atlantic, though I would have considered the Amber if it had a balanced connection. 

@leftside Actually the Amber can be had with balanced connections for an additional $1,000 EURO. I originally opted for the RCA connection because I had the Parasound P5 with XLR connections, but I didn't believe it was truly balanced. If I had it to do over I would certainly go with the Balanced connections on the Amber.  I didn't test the headphone capabilities of the e32 but I would recommend giving it a try by running the e32 into your headphone amp.  i don't believe the e32 sound quality is compromised with the inclusion of a headphone amp that's not being used. I had to also resist the thought that money was being wasted on a component that I would never use.  The e32 just gave the best sound quality for the money in this study. So you can view the headphone amp as a plus and not as if it's superfluous. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, beetlemania said:

That was a LOT of new gear in a short amount of time. So, what *is* your current system?

@beetlemania My small rig includes Classe CT-2300 300 Watt 2-Channel amp (available for $4,500 on US Audiomart), Ayre Codex (available for $1400 on US Audiomart), Martin Logan Vantages, Samsung K8500 4k Blu-Ray Player, Blue Jeans speaker cables and balanced interconnects.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, 1markr said:

Good review MJ, and great story-telling! I really enjoyed it.

I assume that you tested the DACs with their native power sources, whether factory power cords, or stock AC adapters and such? The reason I bring that up.... well, I'm a happy ExaSound E32 user, and have been most of this year (ran an E12 for a year or so before that), but I run it off of DC power from an SLA battery, which made a substantial improvement to transient responses of the DAC, and it put a little more "meat on the bones"  on instruments and performers as it laid out the sonic picture. 

As for comparisons, the only thing I can add is that I much preferred the ExaSound E12 to the Holo Spring Lev 3 DAC, that I also owned, and it was fully broken in.  The Holo was just too laid back for me, and didn't get my blood flowing listening to my tunes. Both were driven off of USB.

@1markr  Well, not exactly.  On a new purchase I have a habit of trying to keep all of my manuals, cords, bags packaging and accessories as untouched as possible.  The goal is to have the product appear as next to new as possible should I ever have the notion to sell or trade the unit.  Consequently I use the power cords that are unused and swimming in what my wife calls a "rats nest" of wires residing behind my system. I just recently purchased my first aftermarket PowerChord by Audience.  Prior to purchasing the PowerChord I had yet to actually hear a difference in any of the power cords I had auditioned. The e32 used the standard power unit but the long power cord that rests between the powersupply and the wall outlet was replaced with a 6" version to help keep the nest from growing. The other DACs used the cords I had already available and are all sizeable products and assumed to be adequate, but they were not all OEM.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, beerandmusic said:

Just curious....prior to starting this 2 month journey you mentioned you used the oppo 105.

Did you use that to stream files, or how did you play files before the journey?  Did you have any external dac before?  What music players did you previously use before (e.g. jriver or?)  I believe you said you used a standard notebook for playing files?  Do you have dsd files for your comparison testing?

Thanks

@beerandmusic  I used the OPPO 105D previously to play my FLAC and DSD files.  This was my first entry into the foray of DAC equipment, other than my Schiit Lyr/Bifrost Headphone DAC/AMP combo (soon to be available on Audiogon). Even with that setup I didn't do any DSD streaming, I would only stream music from TIDAL to the BIFROST or play SACDs directly to the LYR.  When rendering FLAC and DSD files I would use the OPPO on the big rig.  I just got into the music players with my recent Jriver23 purchase and ROON subscription. I use a little 13” Dell Inspirion 7000  Laptop i3 2.3GHz, 8Gb Ram, Windows10, 120Gb SSD, with two 1Gb SSD drives for additional storage. I used DSD files up to 256DSD for comparison testing. It was with the higher resolution files where the DACs showed the most differentiation; which would seem to be an obvious expectation.  But, since the YGGY didn’t support native DSD I started my comparisons with TIDAL tracks and FLAC files because that was common ground. Looking back I should have focused my comparisons primarily with DSD.  I spent a lot of time with DSD tracts but should have started with DSD and worked my way down to TIDAL streaming.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, Cyrus said:

MJ-10  and others:  Advice on the best way to move forward with this?

@semente My apologies for the delayed response, you may have posted your review already?   I got lost in the music and with working overtime to try to afford my new purchases.   I’ve not enjoyed this hobby this much since my days as a nightclub DJ back in college; for obvious reasons.   

Back to your question as to how to proceed… The advantage you have is you know what you are wanting to accomplish from the beginning.  I didn’t plan to post a review when I started so I didn’t take copious notes. I was just tring to make a final purchasing decision.  If I had it to do over, I would focus on making a record of everything; what I like, dislike, found similar, unique, odd, common, etc. etc. 

I would make a record of my every thought, but in the form of dictation.  I suggest taking numerous notes in the form of recorded dictation so your thoughts get captured without hindering your listening experience. You can even dictate as you listen, referencing your thoughts on what you hear as the track is recorded in the background like a score to your dictated thoughts.  Then when you think you have had enough, play the tape back, and the review will reveal itself.   Then organize those thoughts into sentences and paragraphs and the review will write itself. I can’t wait to read it.  Enjoy…

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:08 AM, Blackstone said:

I think the cables and power conditioning makes up that last 15% that puts the system into the “I could sit here and listen all day” stratosphere.

@Blackstone I am so glad to read this post. I was beginning to think that maybe I was delirious.  But in the back of my mind I knew I wasn’t the only one.  When Peter @ TheCableCo helped me outfit my system with a FULL LOOM of Audience Au24Sx interconnects and speaker cables, I just couldn’t  regress to my old setup.

It took a while.  I had to scourer to find used interconnects in great shape at good prices, but I finally have a full loom of Audience Au24 SX. Now, I too have that exact same thought, almost daily.  I am cautious about applying a numerical value to the musical impact of any piece of equipment as those numbers can be misinterpreted.  But I do agree the QX-5/20 and KX-5/20 is an awesome paring.  If my CODEX had just one more input I may have never considered venturing elsewhere.  

SPOILED by the QX-5/20 is a good way to describe it.  I originally felt 3-BNC, 3-Optical, 2-USB, 1-Ethernet, 2-AES/EBU, was only necessary for professional use and for a home based system it’s overkill times five.  But I now have a good portion of those inputs put to use and I enjoy my system that much more as a result.  Why would I not want to listen to everything (and I do mean EVERYTHINIG) coming thru my DAC?  While recovering from the flu I just binge watched the last three seasons of Game of Thrones thru the QX-5/20 and I enjoyed it that much more as a result of the increased audio element. 

And maybe it’s because I’ve rolled so many DACs recently that I am just totally enamored with the KX-5/20’s contribution to the sound of my system. I don’t know how many other pre-amplifiers use the variable gain approach but that has to be the quintessential difference.  My Parasound P5, and apparently every other preamplifier I have ever owned, attenuated the volume down to a noise floor that remained constant .  I’ve read about the difference of variable gain in every review I found on the KX-5/20.  But living with it is what allowed me to finally understand that turning up the volume on an attenuated system allows more of the sound to come thru only to and share the stage with the noise that is always present and at a constant level.  I no longer have the desire to blast the volume because with the variable gain approach the lower the volume the lower the amount of overall noise.   It simply astounds me that I now actually prefer the volumes at low to moderate levels.  I secretly believe me finding the KX-5/20 is God’s way of helping to save my hearing.

@Blackstone, But back to your point, I don’t know about your 15% quantitative value applied to the musical influence of interconnects. But I must agree my final cabling selection took my system from the best digital system I have ever heard bar none, to damn near placing me into a catatonic trance, track after tract, album after album, day after day.