IGNORED

The Paul Hynes SR7

Thanks for that write up and the photos. Extremely impressive job on that cabling, especially your tackling of the 24 pin! 

PHD really does seem to be thriving under the standard production arrangement with Stephen & co. -- I'm aware there will still be some desiring more esoteric builds from Paul himself and consequently facing the same issues with respect to very long lead times, but having a lineup of supplies available within a reliable timetable really helps make the value of their products more evident to more people. I've been so happy with my SR4T that, only five days in, I'm considering doubling down and placing another order. 

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, highstream said:

I would think the wood blocks as footers would counter the benefit of anything used above it, since the idea is isolation and a wood block is not disconnected from what might be causing a problem. On my desktop under Quad 12L actives, I use Heinke 4" thick wood blocks, but with Isoacoustics stands between them and the speakers. Under an SR4 on the carpet, I use Iso-Pucks. Under everything else, EVP's.

I'm fairly certain @austinpop means he used/is using wood blocks/Panzerholz footers between the SR7/components and the wood platform(s), and not under the platform itself. The usual thinking is that wood platforms such as the IKEA Aptitlig or the Taiko Daiza need to have the components they're supporting coupled to them (rather than de-coupled/isolated) to properly drain resonances/energy and do their job, while below the platform(s) decoupling/isolation footers usually are preferred. Unsure what, if anything, austinpop is using to support the Daiza, though, or if it is placed on a rack/similar. 

Which reminds me that after sort of bucking the above wisdom for a bit and using Herbie's Tenderfeet between some components and an IKEA Aptitlig (placed on a wooden desk at the moment), I'm going to reverse course and put the Tenderfeet under the Aptitlig, and some wood spike feet under the components.

Thanks for clarifying. 

2 hours ago, internethandle said:

Which reminds me that after sort of bucking the above wisdom for a bit and using Herbie's Tenderfeet between some components and an IKEA Aptitlig (placed on a wooden desk at the moment), I'm going to reverse course and put the Tenderfeet under the Aptitlig, and some wood spike feet under the components.

Just did this between my SR4T and an Aptitlig (coupling wooden spike feed now sit below the SR4T, which is resting on the Aptitlig, and I moved the Herbie's Tenderfeet that were under the SR4T below the Aptitlig platform itself). Perhaps a bit early, but it indeed is an improvement -- things are much tighter/more coherent and less diffuse/bloated sounding. The SR4T is feeding a SOtM tx-USBultra Special Edition with 9V. 

• 4 weeks later...