IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

33 minutes ago, jaaptina said:

Has anyone actually experienced a boost in SQ after applying John's SMPS grounding hack?

Not quite a straight answer to your question but I have three LPS-1s each driven by a stock SMPS (Meanwell ?). If I connect the MWs straight to the mains, the SQ is not as good as it is if I connect them via Jon Risch-style isolating transformers. The improvment is marked and readily repeatable. Whether it's down to a quirk in my system, I can't say but it's a damn nuisance because the transformers are crying out for a case on both aesthetic and safety grounds which I really, really don't want to make. And they take up too much space.

So, last night, I tried the tweak (the JSGT?) on the MW that powers the DAC's clock and thus (or so I guessed) the one most likely to show up an SQ loss. Several hours in and so far, so good - no detectable SQ loss compared to the isolators. I'll be trying the second MW shortly and will report back.

Should anyone feel the temptation to ask what the effect of using the isolators and the JSGT might be, resist it . . .

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2018 at 12:16 AM, wwc said:

Could you be more specific to the model # of the Zyxel "v1 switch?"  Thanks!

Humble apologies but I've only spotted this query. It's probably an age thing.

Should it still be on any interest, I use ZyXel ES105As and find that the now-hard-to-get V1 sounds better than the more common V3s. But, to get the best from either and all-but eliminate the gap between them, replace the 3.3v regulator at the input with an LT3045-based device. See pic of a v3 box though it's easier to do a neater job with shorter leads with the v1.

Neater still, wait until Uptone Audio releases its upcoming audio-grade switch which, I note with interest, is 10/100MB/sec only.

HTH

Dave

Zyxel v3 w Acko reg.jpg