IGNORED

FORGETTING the Digital to Analog conversion part, what is BEST Digital source?

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

1. Usb has 5v bus noise issues but no jitter issues, or does USB have both noise AND jitter issues, it's just the jitter for usb isn't as bad as HDMI & S/PDIF?

USB audio has rate control, so jitter is entirely dependent on the local clock. Some DACs have good clocks, some bad.

2. HDMI & S/pdif have jitter issues but no 5v bus noise?

Those don't supply power. Since they lack rate control, the DAC clock has to be synchronised with the source, and this tends to add a bit of jitter. How much depends on the implementation.

3. 1s and 0s are 100% accurate in either case?

Absolutely.

8 hours ago, barrows said:

Now when the memory player guys start talking about unscrambling the bits, I mean, really?  What the hell are they talking about.  It just seems to be entirely fabricated.

It makes no sense whatsoever. FWIW, the photo shows an off the shelf OCZ (now Toshiba) SSD.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Ok, great, glad you brought the clock up.  Is that clock that you use required for the enet part or necessary for the usb part....

If you had a streamer dac where no usb is needed, would that require the same amount of clocks as if you had 2 separate boxes?

Reason I ask is I believe i read that a dac requires 2 clocks, so it sounds as though you would have 3 clocks in enet->usb->dac solution where an enet->solution only has 2 clocks?

Ethernet interfaces require a clock, typically 25 MHz or 50 MHz. USB interfaces generally need a 12 MHz clock. The DAC clock should be a multiple of the sample rate, and most good implementations use separate crystals for 44.1 kHz 48 kHz base rates. In an asynchronous design, the quality of the DAC clock is what matters. The Ethernet and USB clocks only need to meet the requirements of the respective interface specs.

1 minute ago, barrows said:

We have found that the close in phase noise of the Ethernet/USB XOs are quite important for sound quality.  We still have not discovered why for sure, but are working on figuring it out.  This really surprised us as well, until we tried it, then we were forced to accept it.

Until you can show me how to measure it, I must refuse to believe it.

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

even I, who am very difficult to convince of anything, believe that our ears are far more capable than measuring equipment.  (god made our ears, man made test equipment)....

I am an atheist.

3 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I remember swearing high resolution DSD was better than PCM when everyone on this board kept yelling nyquist proves that anything beyond x couldn't be heard.

Nyquist has nothing to do with PCM vs DSD. Some DACs have demonstrably lower distortion playing DSD than with PCM.

10 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

What about ringing in someones ears....is that just in someone's brain, or does it actually exist.

Ear ringing, or tinnitus, is by definition the conscious perception of a (persistent) sound without a corresponding stimulus of the ear. The cause can be in the inner ear itself, in the auditory nerve, or in the brain. I wouldn't say such a sound actually exists any more than a hallucination does.

37 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

They sounded better in some ways and certainly improved a few other factors in the units (not to mention they were way easier to set up in the shop), but the overall sound quality was definitively worse in other ways and uncharacteristic for Ayre, preventing them from standing out in the market.

In other words, it lacked the Ayre house distortion. If an amp stands out, it's doing something wrong, IMO.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

I just want to thank barrows for "Ayre chooses not to use global negative feedback in their circuits" - my emphasis - it is all too rare that people distinguish global vs. all or local neg. feedback

moving on:  Benchmark is using a feed forward circuit in their AH2B

What we need is a feedback-and-forth design.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

I disagree with your assessment. The goal is to be as transparent as possible, not to try and "improve" the music with what the designer may happen to like. 

I agree with that. But then, how does an amp "stand out"? The goal should be for all amps to sound exactly alike: transparent.