IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

• 11 months later...

I have had the same experience as yyz with digital volume controls. I had a Weiss DAC202 for a long time and eventually bought a Tortuga preamp to improve the sound quality particularly at low volume, it improved the transparency. When looking to upgrade from the Weiss DAC I found every digital volume control had a negative affect on the SQ even on the DAVE. Eventually I came across the Mola Mola Makua DAC and it blew me away at the level of transparency, PRAT and involvement and was a big step up from the Weiss/Tortuga. It simpflied my system got rid of the separate preamp and one set of interconnects. I am looking forward to hearing the Tambaqui to see if Bruno has done something 'magical' with its digital volume control. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I own the Makua/DAC and feed it with an Antiopdes DX3 running roon. I had a friend with a Boulder 1010 preamp and we compared with the Makua and he has now sold the Boulder as it was no where as transparent the Makua, which gave a lot more excitement to music. 

• 1 year later...

I agree with Stereophilus on the difference between the Tambaqui and the Makua. I listened to these side by side a year ago using the USB input, but the Tambaqui was quite new and did not have a lot of hours on it. The Makua certainly to my ears sounded more "analogue" than the Tambaqui having a more relaxed fluid organic flow to the music that makes me forget about the equipment and arrive at the live music venue.

The Tambaqui did sound very nice, very dynamic, punchy, transparent, not aggressive and had the best implementation of a digital volume control that I have heard. Prior to buy the Makua I had listened to the DAVE and did not like its digital attenuation at all - I found this to be a very aggressive sounding DAC in the system it was playing - I was surprised after all the rave reviews. I had a friend who bought the DAVE new and sold it 12 months later for 40% less than he paid - why did he sell it- because it was too aggressive in his system. Another friend of mine was going to buy the DAVE and got both the DAVE and the Makua at his home along with the rest of his $100k system and bought the Makua for the same reasons as expressive above - the natural organic flow of the music.

I find I am rarely listening to tracks now. I want to listen to whole albums, as I forget about how accurate a piano note is and fall into a 3D holographic sound field that takes me to the concert. I am tempted by the Ethernet upgrade, but its a hard decision to part with the Makua for its journey to the Netherlands to get the upgrade and miss my music for several weeks or months depending on what plans Corona has for it. 

Cheers