IGNORED

THE SOUND WHICH IS AFTER ALL THE MOST IMPORTANT

I JUST SPENT A LOT OF MONEY AND I AM NOT SATISFIED.

I AM USING MY NEW MAC, MY AYRE DAC WELL BROKEN IN W/CARDAS USB CABLE ALSO WELL BROKEN IN. MY SETTINGS ARE OK AND I PURCHASED AN HRX WHICH IS PROPERLY INSTALLED AS WELL AS A DOWNLOADED HD TRACKS ALBUM OF ALBERT COLLINS. NOW, I'M JUST NOT SATISFIED WITH THE SOUND ITS THIN AND DIGITAL AS OPPOSED TO SWEET AS ANALOG SOUND IS...ITS NOT EVEN AS SATISFYING AS THE SOUND I GET FROM MY SQUEEZEBOX (INTERNET RADIO) W/CARY DAC. PLEASE DONT MAKE ME DELINEATE WHAT EQUIPMENT I HAVE AND NOVICES NEED NOT SPECULATE.

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED. SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE NEEDS TO HELP.

MARK BERKLEY

First off, you may not be aware but writing a message all in capitals is considered shouting and therefore bad etiquette. And this is an open forum so anyone is welcome to reply to any message - if you don't want the advise people offer then either ignore it; or don't post your question - thats the nature of the Internet.

Second, what software are you using to play back your files? iTunes; Pure Vinyl; Amarra; Play or something else?

Third, without detailed knowledge of your system components it's really impossible to give good advise, but it may be that either the Ayre QB9 just doesn't have good synergy with the rest of your system, or you just prefer the characteristics of the Cary - I may be wrong but don't most Cary components involve valves in their output stage? Have you tried an optical cable (or other connection) from your Mac to your Cary DAC? Did you listen to a broken in Ayre DAC in your system before purchasing?

Ultimately it can be a time consuming job to find the products that (a) work best and (b) suite you listening preferences so a good dealer is really essential especially at the upper levels where buying the wrong product can be a costly mistake - hopefully the dealer you bought the Ayre from will be able to help you!

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Dear Mark,

I sure hope this will help you :

This happens to many people using computers for playback of music. But I will assure you : there will be a time when you have it behind you and you wonder "what is it what I actually did wrong at first ?".

So, give it some time for more experience. It will get better. PROMISE.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

writing a message all in capitals is considered shouting and therefore bad etiquette.

Just to be ahead of things ... many people have made the mistake to complain about something like this, while those doing it can't be more ashamed than needing to explain why. So Eloise, I won't guarantee you this is so this time, but in case it is these are some softening words towards Mark. If it is not so, you are just correct.

Don't question this or me for now. We'll see.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Marcober - Welcome to Computer Audiophile. I really hope the readers here can help you if that's truly what you're seeking. CA is a laid back site where people try to increase the enjoyment of our great hobby and where people can spend some time conversing in a fun manner. If you're still interested in the site I highly recommend making a little adjustment to you comments and tone. Would you like to spend a considerable amount of time helping someone such as yourself if all you had to go one was a post written in all caps and a bit demanding that someone needs to help you? In addition people willing to help need more information about what your listening with. I don't think anyone is really going to jump in here to help you if your response is to attack someone trying to assist you.

If you're still on board with Computer Audiophile and how the site works I'm sure you'll find all the help you need right here. If not I ask that you move along to a site where abrasive comments are the norm.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ok, let's cut this out.

But I am still serious Mark, you will get there. So be positive. Your first post sounded a bit like the opposite.

I can't be of any real help because I don't like Macs. Sorry for that.

All the best,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Mark, I understand that your post was in all capitals in error, I was not "complaining" about it as such, just trying to be helpful. I would suggest you be careful about throwing stones about spelling errors when there are spelling / gramatical errors in your own post.

Let's drop matters of etiquette and spelling now and see if we can sort out your sound which, as you said to begin, is the most important thing.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

MB, do you think it's possible you have a bright and edgy system and a less resolving digital front end (SB, Cary DAC) sounds easier on the ears?

I have heard the QB9 in my system, with a Mac and various player apps. It does not sound digital to me, as in bad digital. It has a lot of finesse and detail without any aggression. If your system isn't that good, I can see how you might think it's thin sounding and would be displeased. Just because it's an Ayre, is the new darling, is an award winner, doesn't mean it's going to work in all systems. Maybe you need to keep your Cary and get a USB adapter for the MAC and see how that goes. Sell me your Ayre for a good price, and I'll consider us even.

Bryan

Dedicated 240V balanced power, Torus RM20-BAL. Mac Mini/Ayre QB-9. LSA Group Signature integrated. Eminent Tech LFT8B speakers. Real Trap and GIK bass traps.

Nothing wrong with ALBERT COLLINS ;-)

Although I did notice Albert Collins is standard 16/44.1 so no gain from comparing this to any other good lossless CD Rip.

I have a Mac and have borrowed the Ayre QB9 and its sounded good to me so not quite sure why its not sounding as good as your squeezebox if all your settings are correct.

Eloise has made some good points and without some more info I’m not sure its gong to be easy for anyone to make any recommendations.

Albert:

Out of all the silly and/or obvious replies I received, yours is not inane and makes sense. Of course, I could take the problem to my dealer and of course I could have written my question in lower case instead of capital letters. After all, if this is the best help I can get from this group then what the hell do we need Computer Audiophile for?

As to your helpful advice, though... I downloaded Albert Collins in aiff and I had no idea that I was getting only 16/44.1. I expected better from HRx. This is not making me a happy audiophile. I thought all HRx was of a higher resolution.

Do you know of any other sources for high resolution remasters of this kind of music and/or traditional jazz the likes of Miles, Monk etc.?

In any case, thanks for your help.

Mark

MB - Please take a look around here and you'll see thousands of questions just like yours asked and answered by kind people from all over the world. This is a laid back site and just the opposite of a "high class closed society."

Also, there is no such thing as an HRx download available for purchase right now. All HRx files are 24/176.4. If you want to listen to an HRx file please click on the link in the upper right corner of this screen.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

MB,

You may just like the sound of your previous sytem better than the Ayre. I think that the Ayre is a great DAC, but it is a subjective call. If your dealer finds that everything is good, so be it. Assuming you have gone to the Ayre site for setup of iTunes, and given the QB-9 plenty of break-in, I think you should try the DAC with many different music titles. When I change components, previous reference recordings often no longer sound as good as they used to.

This is a wonderful site with good people. Here is an example of an Audio Asylum response to my post that I experienced today from a thoughtful fellow:

"Take this crap elsewhere (might I suggest flatearthsociety.com) and spare the quiet (and sane) majority here, please. Non-computer audio forums, where they turn a blind eye to flat out stupidity and refuse to require any scientific basis for ridiculous claims, are the last thing we need to emulate in a place where the old audio myths should be questioned on a daily basis."

Lars can't handle the stress. Thank goodness for Mercman.

I hope you can find some happiness with your new purchase.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

Guest WATERLOGIC

A simple suggestion before you return your expensive gear :

1. Try to audition the comp-dac with a good headphone amplifier and some good headphones (Like Sennheiser HD 800, or AKG 702 ...). If good - the problem is with your analogue part (amp-speakers) or even the problem lies in your room acoustics.

2. If still no good buy (or borrow) M2tech Hiface usb/coax converter and connect to your DAC coax (spidf) in. Audition again with the both headphones and your analogue part setup.

If it still sucks with the headphone audition - throw the DAC and the fancy USB cable back at the seller.

(bytheway, take normal cable coax 75 Ohm, not the snake-oil kind ! It pisses me off how people spend so much money on wire-snake-magic)

Hires files jazz - to my knowing is HDTRACKS.com with some nice titles.

(good recordings : McCoy Tyner : New York Reunion 24bit /96kHz ; Jon Faddis: Remembrances 24bit /96kHz ; ) . There is also Linnrecords.com with some 24bit/192kHz (mostly classical) titles, but limited choice.

Good Luck !

PS: I do not mind your UPPER LETTER STYLE, I can understand how pissed off you are. I like people who can get emotional. Take Care .

WL