IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

A couple quick ideas.  Have you tried integer mode 2?

have you tried upsampling to only power of 2 rather than DSD to see if there is a change, either good or bad?

Have you set your volume to DAC only and ensured it is up to 0.0db in Audirvana and all the way up on your Mac?

and if you have it enabled, disable replay volume normalization

what version of OSX are you on, or did you replace the kext file?

edit: Tidal took a huge leap up in sound quality for me with the release of Sox and 3.2.  I am on 10.13.3 beta version 2, no kext replacement.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, fbczar said:

I use El Capitan 10.11.5. I always have used power of 2 rather than DSD. Volume is set to DAC only. High Res files and CD rips sound incredible. TIdal is anemic in comparison. The sound is much more recessed less dynamic. And the noise floor is clearly higher in Tidal. I have the problem in SoX and IZotope. I really appreciate the advice. 

In that case, all I am left with is your connection to the internet and perhaps El Capitan.  I really have no idea.

No electron left behind.

35 minutes ago, OneHandWaving said:

I’ve had A+ crash several times at the end of a track played from my hard drive - I’ve sent Damien a crash report. 

I’d had no problems with Qobuz until today when A+ stopped mid-track and wouldn’t respond to pressing the play/pause button. I had to select the next track to get things playing again. I don’t know if it was an A+ issue or a Qobuz one. 

I have had to manually move to the next track on many occasions as well.  From both the local files and TIDAL.

Overall, I am still satisfied with A+.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, RunHomeSlow said:

As in my signature i have a late 2012 mac mini, put in it 16gb of ram and installed and ssd hard drive just for the system, and i think it has only one core...

now i moved in a house and can listen to music at 85db, and with all the clicks, static noise and not finishing song till the end and pops after dsf album finished, i stop upsampling to dsd128.

now no upsampling, no direct mode in high sierra, blasting music without worries to hear a high screee noise anywhere without any reason ?

I have a 2011 Mini with the i5 chip, I have 2 physical cores and 2 virtual cores.  I would guess you do as well.

No electron left behind.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:35 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Well, call me wrong.  It looks like Apple put non hyper threading I5 chips in our Mac minis, so we have only 2 physical cores.

Now I don't know what to think...

Earlier tonight I updated my 10.13.3 to the Beta 3 version, because of that I had to go through the steps to re-enable Direct Mode in A+.  While doing that, specifically repairing permissions I saw this in Terminal.  It clearly says I have 4 processors, meaning I must have 2 virtual cores as well as my 2 physical cores, right?

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.45.14 PM.png

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, Chiler54 said:

Is there any news when the Integer Mode will officially be available again in Apple's High Sierra?

Is Integer mode specific to the OS, or to the Device you are sending the bits to?  I have it on my High Sierra implementation, and the modes 1 and 2 do sound noticeably different, so I assume it is working.

Perhaps you have to go through the steps to enable direct mode to get integer mode as well.

edit, never mind.  I am apparently brain dead and completely missed the word "Officially" in your post.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 4.53.37 PM.png

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Chiler54 said:

Sorry my english is not so good....i can not change the integer mode 1 or 2. This is a High Sierra Apple problem. And replacing the missing kext file is too tricky for me....

Your English is fine, my reading skills were lacking.

No electron left behind.

8 hours ago, Chiler54 said:

So El Capitan is loaded, Direct Mode is displayed at the internal output, but not when I select the Sotm SMS 200 Ultra.

What's going on there?

5a513be175806_Bildschirmfoto2018-01-06um22_09_30.thumb.png.cacecaed9bd5fc8727f1c7080116e73e.png

Direct Mode only works on directly connected players, aka USB DACs, not network players.

No electron left behind.

Weird thing happened to me a while back and it drove me absolutely bonkers for about 30 minutes...

I upgraded to a new Beta version of MacOS 10.13.xx and had zero sound output.  I checked everything, everything but the system volume...  I felt like an idiot, but somehow in the upgrade the system volume had been muted.  Don't forget to check the small things.

No electron left behind.

6 hours ago, BreezyS said:

Yes, checked all the usual stuff like sound preferences, audio midi and volume. 

Thing is, after the OS reinstall I could play iTunes perfectly. Then I installed A+ and nothing. I hadn't changed anything in the interim. There was Not even sound output from iTunes on its own, which was the same issue that caused me to do the reinstall in the first place.

One thing I noticed was that when setting A+ preferences I had to install 'system preferences' (incl. entering system password) and got some error messages. Could this be somehow causing the issue? Somehow it seems like the Mac USB sound output is being effected.

Those error messages probably have a clue.  Maybe gather what info you can, perhaps from a log of some sort and send it to Damien.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, mazuly said:

Happens all the time?

What happens when it freezes? 

Do you need to force quit A+ to run it again? 

If yes, then maybe the debug and/or crash report may help Damien to diagnose the issue.

I don't get any freeze on my system so i think each setup is unique.

Lol, yes it happens quite regularly.

It freezes, that's what happens.  it stops playing.

I just manually advance to the next song.  If Damien wants the debug or crash report, he knows how to find me.

great for you that you get no freezes.

How about from now on, you treat me as an adult that can figure out what to do rather than a child that needs step by step instructions.

No electron left behind.