IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

9 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

after thankfully solving my RAM problem I want to propose a discussion about the benefits of playing through UPnP to streamers like microRendu, Raspberry or others..

Why should someone prefer this solution over the "traditional" computer - DAC configuration?

What are the technical benefits?

I've always liked Audirvana, but my Mac Mini is my main media server and not really optimized for USB output.  Having just built a C.A.P.S. Carbon server with a SOtM USB card, I'm delighted that I can feed it with Audirvana, for several reasons: upsampling, drag-and-drop play, memory playback and generally just the full, rich sound.  It sounds much better than USB from my Mac MIni.  It's also better-sounding and more flexible than most UPNP clients.

8 hours ago, lucser said:

@DomieMic65 the main benefit will be to have the computer placed away from the audio system. With USB you are restricted by the limited length of USB cable.

On the other hand using an UPNP renderer will void the advantages of Audirvana rendering engine as in the end the UPNP renderer will send the signal to your DAC.

Even if a bit dissapointed by this not optimal solution, after waiting for it very long time I wish to give it a try. Unfortunately I could not making work with Volumio as UPNP renderer ( not seen by Audirvana). I have tried with a Cubox but no success. I understand that some users reported working with Volumio.

If they could provide some help/advice it will be great!

A few weeks about I was playing around with a Pi and an Odroid and I seem to recall I got them to work.  I have a Cubox as well, I'll see if I can recreate what worked.

57 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

A few weeks about I was playing around with a Pi and an Odroid and I seem to recall I got them to work.  I have a Cubox as well, I'll see if I can recreate what worked.

Volumio on Cubox isn't working.  Something's wrong with the protocols.  Jud was also having problems getting his Cubox recognized.  I know that my Odroid and RPi 2 worked with Rune.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

I had a fair amount of frustration with the CuBox, mostly about the specific OS builds that have to be used for the ARM architecture.  These aren't anything that would bother someone who knows a bit of Linux, but I'm a real amateur and was easily put off.  I have found this mini computer much less frustrating (I am trying to get a particular renderer to work just because I am interested that I haven't been successful with quite yet, but I think this would have the power to run whatever has been suggested to you): https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856110131

That's a very good deal.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi rickca - I’m wanting to run what I believe Jesus is using (he’s done the work of putting it behind an easy user-friendly GUI), upmpdcli.  I’m nearly there (A+ sees the remote renderer and everything looks normal, it’s just that A+ won’t get out of the paused state and start playback), so I’m guessing it won’t be too difficult to figure it out with Jesus’ help.

Would it be too obvious to suggest running aplay -l and checking mpd.conf to make sure MPD is pointed to the right hardware?  That's what it sounds like to me.  I think you're close... ;-)

Also, I'll throw this out there.  It's a dead-solid MPD install and worked like a charm with Audirvana:

https://www.24bit96.com/hifi-music-server/bitperfect-linux-with-mpd.html

You could substitute Raspbian Wheezy, maybe skip the RT kernel, USB mount and anything else you don't need.  I named the machine and user the same as the instructions so I could copy and paste most of the command lines.  Then add upmpdcli and you're done.  It took me a half hour but it's the first time I haven't had to struggle getting MPD to work properly...

Just an idea if you want the practice. :-)

1 hour ago, lucser said:

Hi, 

thank you and all the others for the info regarding Cubox. It's a bit sad as I really like it, is compact, powerful enough, good hardware implementation but poor software support, at least regarding audio side.

I was thinking about Moode but it is available only for raspberry pi. It is also paid only. Not that 10usd is too much (it is not) but first I would like to have the oportunity to try it. Also if soon will be updated to a major version the upgrade is to be paid also.  Again, if I will have it as permanent solution not a big deal.

I have a Cubox an Odroid C2 and a Raspberry pi 3 plus I have a Digi+ pro and an isolatorPi (Iancanada), Schiit Eitrand thinking to purcase a 502dac hat also. I'm still experimenting to find two setups that are flexible enough and allow me to play music over network and have a good remote control app. I have both Audirvana and HQplayer but they are covering half of my needs each: Audirvana is covering the user interface needs (nothing to complain here) but was failing on the net connectivity (partially covered with the upgrade to 3.1) and HQplayer having superb net conectivity solution but the user interface is less than basic and the remote control apps really limited. 

I was reticent to go with roon due to the high price. I don't say that is not worth the price but there are features that I do not necessary need as my library is properly tagged. Now if I' m thinking, what I've paid for Audirvana + upgrade and HQ player is almost half of Roon license so, considering also the waiting time for features that will didn't happen, Roon is not expensive afterall.

Regarding the A+ engine I'm pretty sure. Otherwise there will be no difference between the different players. This was actually the base that made Audirvana standing out from the other players. It is true that there are also the other features as upsampling, different filtering, dsp etc. that contribute to the final digital signal sent to  the dac. If you use them then, at least you will use a part of it.

OK now this is how the things are standing and is nothing that I could change. HQPlayer user interface is just too rough, the process of finding /selecting what I want to listen is too frustrating and killing all the joy. It remains to play a bit with Audirvana an finding a way to play with UPNP renderers on the LAN ( Pi or Odroid), trying Volumio and maybe Moode. If I still not find a solution to fulfill the two main personal requirements ( a decent and pleasent to use interface and ability to work over LAN) then I must reconsider Roon. Paying 500 usd it seems the only cons of Roon :).

I can attest that Audirvana 3 works with Runeaudio on my Odroid and my RPi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+, so you definitely have some options.

55 minutes ago, DomieMic65 said:

From the first sec MoOde worked just fine with A+ and no issues! With Ethernet connection! I never used WiFi...

Also for those of you who have  Odroid  check the Archphile OS!

Yes, Archphile works well with the Odroid.  His installation instructions are good.  I think you'd need to add upmpdcli but it's been a while since I tried it.

1 hour ago, OldBigEars said:

I'm thinking of getting a Micro Rendu now that Audirvana 3.1 has arrived.  Can someone confirm the limitations....would it work only for streaming (e.g. Tidal) or would I also be able to wirelessly stream FLAC files from my MacBook Pro?

Thanks for clarifying.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the microRendu does wireless streaming.  You must have an ethernet connection.  With a hard connection, you can stream any files from your computer.

ETA: Though apprently you can use a wireless ethernet bridge.

3 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Help, please!  All of a sudden Audirvana 3.1 says there is no valid license key and will not open!  I tried trashing the perferences and support files, reinstalled the key when asked and it still won't open.   

All is well.  I reinstalled, clicked "Request Trail" and entered the license.  It took me through  setup and works fine now.

On 9/6/2017 at 0:15 AM, DomieMic65 said:

guys there is a strange thing going on

since yesterday I am trying the new Archphile for RPi3 and I am streaming from A+ as I did with MoOde

When streaming from A+ though there is swap in Left/Right channel

I played some test tracks that confirm it

The same tracks streamed to RPi from my phone with bubbleUPnP are played correctly, and from the A/phile library of course!

Is there a setting in A+ I miss?

I do not remember if there was the same behaviour with MoOde but I would appreciate if someone could check!

Thank you!!

I don't know the answer but if you google "alsa channel swap" there are ways to check or change the channel mapping.  Maybe you can solve it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, catastrofe said:

Again, the MSB Renderer is a upnp/dlna compliant renderer.  It connects directly to the network, not to my UltraRendu.  

Audirvana sees the renderer on the network, and it's selected as the output device.  However, nothing plays.

Audirvana does not play well with all DLNA renderers.  Some protocols don't work with Audirvana.

4 hours ago, catastrofe said:

Interesting, thanks for the input.  I wonder why that is?. . .a primary purpose of DLNA is compatibility across devices and manufacturers.

DLNA and UPnP are not exactly the same protocols, I believe.  You should try the firmware update if they offer one.

15 hours ago, austinpop said:

Does A+ work with LMS/squeezelite, running the UPnP/DLNA media renderer/server plugin?  In other words, a squeezelite player emulating a UPnP player?

I tried enabling the UPnP DLNA media renderer plugin in LMS. In the A+ settings, I can see the player ("Zenith SE player"), but when I select it, A+ reverts back to Built-in output.

I don't believe so.  It's the mpd/upmpdcli combination that it's designed for.