IGNORED

Upsampling by dac, can't hear an improvement.

12 hours ago, esldude said:

There are thoughts of how upsampling improves things.  I haven't been convinced by any of them.  I don't hear an improvement. It doesn't make sense to me that upsampling could make more than a very small improvement.

If the DAC chip's internal upsampling was truly awful, bypassing it would be an improvement. In reality, they're not actually that bad, so any difference is going to be marginal at best.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, barrows said:

I did not see anyone saying that the oversampling filters in EVERY DAC suck.  But it is true that hardware based filters often are at a loss to what can be accomplished with a more powerful device.  In my experience though, it is possible to implement very good filters with a powerful FPGA or other type of separate DSP chip these days, as is done in a lot of better DACs.  But the filters built in to most DAC chips do seem to be a bit weak...

The filters in any high-end DAC from the usual vendors (AKM, ESS, TI, etc) are perfectly adequate. While it is possible to construct mathematically superior filters, the differences in the actual analogue output are too small to be audible.