IGNORED

Roon Vs jriver

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Unfortunately, that is not true for large classical collections, though it might be for rock, pops, jazz, etc.. Yes, great GUI, but for me,  JRiver is still tops because it  supports my classical habits in Mch DSD, as well as videos, even TV.

I agree.  

I run them both because I am rooting for Roon to work better.  It looks good and it supplies all the ancillary metadata that would be tedious to unearth and implement in JRiver.   OTOH, and in comparison to JRiver, it fails to recognize too many files properly and the the correction of those relies on Roon's routines instead of direct editing.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

On one of The Next Track podcast a guest mentioned that instead of what we have now for metadata, each recording that we purchase or stream would have two pieces of metadata - cover art and a url that would connect your control app to a website that contains full album information.

That makes infinitely more sense to me as a classical music fan than what we have now.

Makes sense if the metadata can be downloaded so that constant web access is not required for future listening.

Kal Rubinson

• 3 months later...
Just now, davide256 said:

There's a lot to be said for RAAT vs UPNP/DLNA. It does what its supposed to do, which is eliminate the nuisance network tweaking that UPNP/DLNA requires. Roon without RAAT supporting endpoint doesn't sound any better than UPNP/DLNA

Granted but does that distinction  apply to direct USB/S/PDIF connections or to AES67-type connections?

Kal Rubinson

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

Perhaps you should rephrase the question? There's no relationship between the Ethernet protocols that feed a renderer and the connector options from a renderer to a DAC.

I was thinking about the NADAC DAC which, via a Ravenna ASIO driver, communicates with a server via Ethernet or of USB-connected DACs.

Kal Rubinson