It is very very good. I do not own one but a system I know quite well uses this as the streamer/dac/preamp. The rest of the system consists of audio research amp and vandersteen speakers. It sounds great and the streamer module works well for him. He uses the bluesound app and not Roon, so I can't say how well it works as a Roon endpoint. Until very recently I used an M51 as my dac/preamp. They share similar qualities but the M12 is a bit more refined. The NAD digital volume control is exemplary, it works extremely well. The unit generated noise is very quiet at all volumes.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

George, the M12 always is used as a DAC! If you feed it with analog source, the analog input signal will be converted to digital and afterwards it will be converted to analog again. That makes no sense to me and I don't use it that way. I do feed it via USB with my MacMini which plays Roon. I use it as DAC/Preamp.

I didn't play a lot with it yet, but compared to my c510 (identical to m51) it sounds much more detailed and more neutral. It's really very good, warm recording sound warm, schrill recording sound schrill. Very nice sound staging. Only think it sounds a tiny bit 'clinical'. I have a Phasure Lush USB cable and I hope this can cure this. Unfortunately I don't have time to listen to it before next weekend...

• 1 month later...

Yes, I've had an M12 for a couple of years - fitted with BluOS streaming module.

Very good equipment that is used for all my digital sources - streaming via Bluos module, CDP, Sonos, TV, USB slick, etc.  Very flexible with excellent setup facilities such as bass, treble and balance settings and an exceptional volume control operated from a sensible front panel knob or the brilliant remote or an app on PC, tablet, etc

The DAC is very good too but one can output the digital signal to other DAC if preferred.

All balanced with AES/EBU included.  It has (but I don't use) analogue inputs too - balanced, line and MC/MM.

So no shortage of facilities, but extra modules can be inserted if you need HDMI, etc.

I use it to feed my GamuT amplifier and Avantgarde horn speakers.  I have other amps (845-based SET, Accuphase Class A) and speakers (QUAD Electrostatic 2905) and the M12 performs excellently with all.

• 3 years later...

I have an M12 and have wondered if its ok to switch between negative and positive polarity during playback. 

What's even stranger is that sometimes there isnt a massive difference in sound quality when I switch polarity.  I would have expected it to be as noticeable as going from Mono from Stereo.

• 1 year later...