IGNORED

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: MQA HW decoding at reasonable cost

Hello, can someone confirm if it's a bug or I'm a lucky one with a hardware problem?

Does your Distortion Compensate setting remains ON if you power off and power on the unit?

On my device, all the settings are retained (input, filter, volumes), expect for Distortion Compensate, which always comes back to OFF.

Thank your for you report guys. At least 2 other users from another forum confirmed the same problem.

But I have some good news!

1- Pro-ject support kindly helped me to fix that. I have contacted them through the support site using Bermuda as my country (thanks @left channel for the tip!) They answered my message 15 hours later with the solution. Much better than my expectations.

2- It's not a firmware bug nor a hardware problem. I was another victim of the misleading user manual. The thing is that we need to push the volume knob to confirm the selection of the Distortion Compensate setting. I was changing the setting and pressing Menu again.

I replied them saying that an update to the user manual would be nice, as I was not the only one that faced that problem. I indeed remember someone posting about the misleading user interaction with the configuration menus some time ago. 

The sound I get from this DAC is amazing, specially by upsampling to DSD512 with HQPlayer. Great price/performance ratio!

1 hour ago, Jamesroy said:

Do you have any upsampling tips for A+

Sorry, not using A+

All I'm listening to is Tidal Hifi in Roon, upsampling with HQPlayer.

Some months ago I bought a Macbook to use A+ believing it would give me superior SQ but got pretty disappointed. I even did the hack on MacOS Sierra to enable DirectMode (https://audirvana.com/?p=4048) but still worse than my Windows environment.

Back in the days, macOS used to be (or at least was considered) the best OS for audio. The scenario has changed. A properly optimized Windows with ASIO sounds much better to me. Sold my pretty brand new Macbook :( 

Still to try Linux  when my miniPC arrives (it will be a NAA).

I heard A+ will be released for Windows. I might give it a shot, but I already paid lifetime subscription for Roon + license for HQPlayer: unbeatable combo for me.

5 hours ago, left channel said:

Are all digital volume controls weird, or just the one on this product, or even just my unit? I've mentioned this before but nobody else has, so I'm wondering. Sometimes when I turn the volume knob, nothing happens for a few notches (the little clicks or detents you feel when you turn it). No change in sound or display for at least three of those. After that, now that it is "awake", the same few clicks will immediately change the volume. But turning back the other way may require extra clicks. And after not being turned for a while, it's back to requiring at least three extra clicks in either direction. It's really strange.

Mine is the same. It's a little bit annoying...

@Miska do you know if the internal filter is completely bypassed using any of these sample rates?

352.8 / 354

705.6 / 768

DSD256 44.1/48

DSD512 44.1/48

I found out that the internal filters are quite good, specially Hybrid Filter and Fast Roloff. But since I'm using HQPlayer to upsample, I want to bypass internal filters.

And I hear a noticeable change with different filters when using 44.1/48 source, but I cannot hear any difference using DSD256 and DSD512 changing the internal filters.

22 hours ago, Miska said:

Those filters selectable in this DAC don't apply to DSD inputs. ESS chips have a separate filter selection for DSD inputs, but this DAC doesn't provide means to switch those, so it is always using one static choice for all DSD rates. So your listening experiences are correct that changing the filters don't affect output when using DSD.

For PCM inputs at rates 352.8k and higher, the on-chip digital filter should be bypassed. I didn't check those 8x (352.8/384k) rates, but they should work similar to the 705.6/768k.

Thanks! I'm loving this little box. First heard of it on your HQP's recommended hardware page.

Still to try a linear power supply. For now, I'm using a 5v power bank and it sounds much better than the included wallwart SMPS.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:09 PM, Miska said:

I don't use "Best" or "Test" mode. I have "Audio Quality" = "User"... Distortion Compensation = Enabled, Filter = Sharp Rolloff

The THD levels visible in his plots look like the ones with distortion compensation disabled.

But this plot looks looks somewhat like expected:

pro-ject-pre-box-s2-dac-residual-best-vs

"Best" has the distortion compensation disabled, and "Test" has it enabled.

I've been reading all Amir's thread on his forum and now I'm quite confused. 

@Miska the image you pasted has the following text:

We see that "best" sharply raises the noise floor by some 25 dB! In doing so the noise now masks all of those distortion products. Seeing how there is some 32 dB of gain in the above measurements, the "best" mode likely has less signal to noise ratio than needed for 16 bit audio. When I have time I will do some listening and see if there is an audible difference. For now, I would probably use the DAC in "Test" mode. 

What I understand by that is Distortion Compensate Enabled suppresses harmonic distortions by raising the noise floor. Kind of a trade-off. Am I right?

After that post, Amir said:

I need to do more testing but in preliminary measurements, Enabling distortion compensation seems to raise distortion, not lower it! Since this is backward I like to perform more tests and only post them when I am sure.

So he ran more tests. Measuring a 1kHz residual noise and distortion, it seems that Distortion Compensate Enabled raises 2nd harmonics distortion, but lowers 3rd harmonic distortion.

Pro-Ject S2 DAC distortion compensation Measurement.png

What we see here is that when we turn off Distortion compensation, we actually get a reduction in distortion in 2nd harmonic. There is a trade off elsewhere though with third harmonic actually increasing. We also see some small spikes with compensation enabled that are not there when we turn it off. So the overall picture is a mix. 

And then a new THD+N test that really confuses me, showing that "when we sum the total distortions+noise, distortion compensation is doing the opposite of what its name indicates."

Pro-Ject S2 DAC distortion+noise comp Measurement.png

Here is the specific post:  https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital.2370/page-4#post-66480 

After that, other users asked him to run the tests with different filters (Fast roll off is one of them), but always getting the same conclusion: Distortion Compensate Enabled actually raises the noise floor.

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC THD+N vs filter 2 Measurement.png

After scratching my head a little, I tried to listen the differences. I always used Distortion Compensate Enabled, but I made some A/B enabling and disabling it. I don't have measurement equipment, that's only my listening impressions. And the impression is that disabling Distortion Compensate actually gives me a darker background (lower noise floor), specially playing only vocals with no other instruments.

Still scratching my head...

7 hours ago, Miska said:

But those measurements you refer to are self-contradictory.

That's exactly what's confusing. On his first measurement, THD+N was better with Distortion Compensation Enabled. On the following tests,  THD+N was better with Distortion Compensation Disabled.

I don't use Test or Best, as I don't like their filters. I'm using Hybrid Filter, but that doesn't matter cause I'm upsampling everything to DSD256 and DSD512. Used to have Distortion Compensation Enabled, but now I'm using it disabled. 

16 hours ago, exdmd said:

The “Distortion Compensation” option works backwards currently. Turning it “On” in the menu increases distortion. Turning it “Off” reduces this. It is known to be a simple flag-inversion and will no doubt be fixed in the next update.

@Miska apart from the confusion regarding user settings, could this be the reason for what I'm talking about? It seems that on firmware 2.12 the flag inverted, and using Disabled apparently turns on this ESS chip feature. Someone mentioned it on Amir's forum also.

What FW version you had when you measured Dist. Compensation On/Off ?

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Probably I tested it with the shipped firmware (2.11?) because I did it pretty much straight when I got it. Measurement files are dated October 23/24 2017. I didn't write down the firmware version though.

I'll re-check again with the 2.12 firmware next time I measure something on this desk. (it takes two hours or something like that to set up things and do the measurements)

Great, thanks! Opinions are conflicting across different forums regarding this.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Depends which one of his tests you check. Because they are self-contradictory. His tests show poor results with profile "Best" (dc disabled) and better results with profile "Test" (dc enabled). While elsewhere he notes otherwise.

Yes, his second round of tests were when the confusion started. I think I'll stick with your results

2 hours ago, exdmd said:

Torq over at SBAF considers the headphone amp built in to the Pre Box S2 to be not so good:

I happen to have both a Magni 3 and Vali 2 and would be glad to compare a review sample of the Pre Box S2 using both amps.  No interest in buying one though.

Yeah, I just read that on SBAF. For me, Magni 3 changes the tonal balance (so not a neutral amp) and messes with sound stage and instrument positioning.

Some might like the altered tonal balance, depending on the headphone used and personal preference. In fact I tested S2 alone and S2 + Magni 3 + Loki with a Philips Fidelio L2 I have around, and I preferred S2 + Schiit stack than S2 alone because the frequency response of the Fidelio is so messed up. And a decent and balanced frequency response is more important than sound stage.

But I'm an IEM guy. With my Triple Fi 10 (with Null Audio Arete MK II cable), the tonal balance, correct sound stage and all the details are there with the S2 alone.

But this is just my subjective findings. As it also seems to be Torq's findings (I see only measurements of the frequency response using different filters there).

Or maybe it's just that my RCA cables are a piece of Schiit. They are Schiit Pyst, a low cost cable indeed...

On 3/2/2018 at 12:17 PM, left channel said:

Also, for the record, I like what my Magni 2U does to the sound signature when I feed it with this DAC. And not just because the Magni is much more powerful.

@left channel almost everyone seems to love Magni 2U and specially Magni 3. I've read tons of posts on the forums around and decided to give it a try. It's a  matter of personal preference and matching your audio chain. For me, the  ES9602Q amp on S2 is a better match for my IEMs. But when using my semi-open Fidelio heaphones, I prefer Magni 3 amping. What's your headphone?

Oh, but one thing is for sure: the  ES9602Q of the S2 lacks some power. Even with my IEM ( 32ohm impedance and 117 dB/mW sensitivity) sometimes I reach -8 dB on the S2 (older and quiet recordings most)

• 3 weeks later...

@trl nice findings, thank you for sharing.

I'm aware that the voltage regulators inside these cheap power-banks are crap.

I bought 1 LPS for the DAC and 1 for the mini-PC (NAA). Both power supplies have not arrived yet. And so the mini-PC. It's painful to buy from overseas in my country...

So my main setup with the S2D is a laptop as source using Tidal over Roon. I don't have any measurement instrument, so all my tests are purely subjective.

So far I have tested this setup using 3 different power supplies: Included SMPS wall-wart, 1.0A port on power-bank, 2.1A port on power-bank. And the 1.0A port on the power-bank was the best. Without a power supply on the mini-USB port, my Windows won't recognize the DAC.

Every week I'm on a different city, and sometimes Internet/Tidal is not available. So my alternative setup is to use an iPod with offline Tidal content as source.

The laptop, being a noisy computer that has fans running on and is always connected to the AC thru a noisy SMPS, I always though it would be worse than the already bad power-bank.  So It didn't occur to me to test the USB ports on the laptop to feed power to S2D with this second setup. I just tested it. And hey, your right! Sounds much better! Thanks :)

Actually the 3 available USB ports results in different sound. But all of them are better than the power-bank.

So when I'm back to my main setup, I will test 1 laptop USB port for the S2D USB-B data + 1 laptop USB port for the S2D mini-USB power. The LPS should take 3-5 weeks more to arrive...

• 9 months later...
8 minutes ago, left channel said:

The earlier drivers and firmware were developed by John Westlake. John has promised us one final firmware bug fix update, and a future optional firmware upgrade that to reach the full potential of his vision for this product. But John is no longer associated with Pro-Ject, Thesycon also does firmware, and I'd be happy enough if Thesycon takes over the bug fixing for the S2D and other DACs in the S2 line.

Pro-Ject is aware of the need for a new firmware. I've been talking with their support about firmware and drivers. Hopefully it will be released soon.

Thesycon won't take over the product, unfortunately. Not for free. As far as I know, the manufacturer (Pro-Ject) pays Thesycon to develop new drivers.

By looking at the 3 versions of the driver we have so far (looking at the inf files, control panel etc of each driver), it seems that all of them were made by Thesycon.

It's just a matter that Tidal app doesn't support ASIO output, only WASAPI.

This is the main reason I use Roon, it supports output to ASIO drivers.

WASAPI (wth Exclusive Mode) and ASIO are both bit-perfect. But ASIO sounds better. Not every bit-perfect chain sounds the same. ASIO is better than WASAPI (many will disagree, many will say "bit-perfect is always the same" but that's not true).

Kernel Streaming sounds even better than ASIO, but there's a compromise with stability and compatibility. Almost no app supports KS.

Well, to use Tidal with ASIO you need another player that supports Tidal and ASIO output. Roon is great, but expansive as hell. You can use the default Tidal Windows app with the ASIO4ALL app: it's a virtual driver routes a WASAPI output to an ASIO driver. I used this chain before buying Roon.