IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

25 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Notice that XXHighEnd is AO^2 although this is hardly advertised. It just is.

Are you saying that XXHighEnd includes Audiophile Optimizer?  What does AO^2 mean?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I pass in advance.

Peter, I assume things like isolation and signal integrity are still just as important to sound quality with the Lush.  Is that correct?  I ask only because I haven't got a clue what you have done differently with the design of this cable.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

22 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

To be clear : with the Lush I worked about all BUT signal integrity. Actually the contrary. This is why I dare to conclude (but not bet) that this just does not matter.

Thanks, Peter.  I suspected you would say this from the clues you've given about your Lush design considerations.  I'm sure Alex and John will find your analysis interesting.

50 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

So I am NOT saying that at all.

Peter, I'm not trying to suggest you meant anything of that nature.  Sorry if my comment made you think that is how I interpreted your response.

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Slower rise (/fall) time of the single wave.

Peter, this is funny.  Uptone says the ISO REGEN 'completely REGENerates the data signals that cables are messing up'.  Does an ISO REGEN at the receiving end of a Lush cable mess up what the Lush is doing?

Also, how does the Lush affect transients in the music?

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

How does XXHighEnd do it ?

Welcome to the wonderful world of audio.

I wasn't asking 'how can the Lush possibly have an effect on transients'.  I'm asking what effect does this slower rise/fall time of the single wave have on how transients sound.  I'm also asking whether regeneration of the signal at the receiving end of a Lush is at cross purposes with what the Lush is doing.

6 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Net, the ISO-Regen in the chain should be for the better, but only when at the PC side.

OK thanks.  What prompted my question is that @lmitche reported that he got the best results doing precisely that, and I started thinking about why.

It is interesting to note that the ISO REGEN uses a USB3 hub because beta testers found it sounded better.  Alex notes, however, that he turns off the superspeed stuff.

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Rick - I wonder, did you just receive a couple of notifications ?

I think I recently got some notifications that I should have gotten yesterday.  

I mean they were notifications about responses that I already saw yesterday.  I'm saying I think the notifications are late.

On 7/24/2017 at 7:42 AM, PeterSt said:

I hope we can stay on-topic !

Thanks for your very helpful answer.  I don't know where you come up with names like Blaxius and B'ASS, but that is also off topic.

Peter, you said you can do the same thing as the Lush cable in XXHighEnd.  What software control produces the same effect (or does this give away too much)?

On 7/23/2017 at 0:46 PM, PeterSt said:

To be clear : with the Lush I worked about all BUT signal integrity. Actually the contrary. This is why I dare to conclude (but not bet) that this just does not matter.

Why is this speculative discussion talking about signal integrity?  Peter already said it's got nothing to do with his cable design for Lush.

Peter, does the Lush cable enable a more consistent (less variable) rate of flow of data from the USB transmitter to the USB receiver?

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

Peter keeps on talking about current draw, and other folks keep on talking about data, timing, and noise.  Not that ultimately the latter two might not be affected, at least if my uninformed guesses might prove to have some validity.

I'm looking at it the other way around.  Burstiness of current draw (driven by processing) is what is often detrimental.  A nice consistent rate of data flow means less processing is required.  Maybe by triggering only on wave tops the receiver doesn't need to ask the transmitter to make adjustments as frequently.  So I'm not talking about changing the speed of the oscillator, just the amount of processing required to keep the data flow at a consistent rate.

2 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Only the oscillator is able to change the speed of the data.

I'm not talking about the speed of the data, I'm talking about a consistent rate of data delivery.  There is a protocol for the receiver to advise the transmitter to adjust how much data to send if I understand Gordon Rankin correctly.  This is the processing I'm talking about.

OK yes I give up trying to understand how the cable influences the sound.  All I really care about is how it sounds.  It's just that if we understand why it sounds better, we can make further progress.

24 minutes ago, mmerrill99 said:

I'm wondering if this means that the LUSH cable can only be optimal with USB audio devices which use & draw power from the 5V USB wire in the cable?

5V can be live even if the USB audio device doesn't use it.  I think Peter just means don't cut or tape over the 5V pin, but I agree we better get this confirmed.

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

This is about termination

So you're saying the USB audio device doesn't have to be using 5V bus power as long as the 5V wire is terminated correctly, is that right?  Problem is I don't know how to determine whether a particular device provides that termination.

33 minutes ago, genjamon said:

Can anyone point me to a post# with reference to USPCB comparison?

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34880-using-the-iso-regen-with-phasure-lush-usb-cable/?do=findComment&comment=703493

It just occurred to me that the color of the Lush cable matches the color of the Phasure forum.  This is undoubtedly the secret ingredient that gives the Lush cable its sound. :P

45 minutes ago, manisandher said:

There will likely be no more posts from @mmerrill99 in this, and perhaps any other, thread. He's the manufacturer of USB audio devices, and goes by the username 'jkeny' on other sites. Chris has previously banned jkeny from CA.

Well, @Fitzcaraldo215 knew this a long time ago

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/32034-what-uncontroversial-audible-differences-cannot-be-measured/?do=findComment&comment=672837