IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

I have one of the 9V units. It's actually one of the first few ever sold, it is a demo unit from Munich. They did the demo with 9V units (4 units to be precise). If the 12V unit sounded better, they would have brought those or in fact, they would probably make 12V units only. As far as I understand, they offer the 12V units because some people already have 12V good power supplies they may want to continue using. I have never heard that anyone A/B tested the two units with different voltages and one sounded better than the other. Since the clock board inside can only take 9V max, there must be a DC-DC converter inside, so the unit still works with 9 Volts (this is an assumption btw). 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody here have the 25mHz clock output and a SOtM modified router? 

I have the ultra but no clock output for now. I'm thinking of sending it for a modification (and a router as well) but I would like to know how much difference such a router would make.

Given to cost of the upgrade and the shipping I could buy an AQVOX switch. I wonder which one is the better option?  

I read that the ultra can run on 9V or 12V if you change the jumper settings. Has anybody actually compared the sound quality with different voltages? I know that some people prefer the higher voltage for the sms-200 but the ultra is different as it has the sCLK-ex panel. Anybody any experience? 

• 4 weeks later...

Not a technical question but did anybody receive a full manual for the ultra specific to the ultra? On SOtM's homepage, I can only see the full manual for the SMS-200 and one-page user guide only for the ultra.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TopQuark said:

It was preferred for better SQ but the difference has not have been proven in A/B tests. 

Preferred by who? And if it was not proven in A/B tests, how come either one was preferred? Kind of a contradiction to me. Can you elaborate, please?

I just got mine back from SOtM with various upgrades and at the same time, I asked for a voltage change from 9V to 12V. 

The main reason being that earlier I read several posts that people found the SMS-200 sound best at 12V. The difference between the SMS-200 and the Ultra is the clock, so the streaming unit itself should still sound best at 12V. At least that is my guess.

32 minutes ago, afrancois said:

With the ultra there is more going on then just the clock In my opinion. Why on earth would a higher voltage that has to be stepped down to a much lower voltage and thus resulting in heat sound better? Perhaps because different power supplies are used between the A/B comparison?

I don't know. But as I said earlier, my understanding is that the Ultra is practically a standard SMS-200 plus the clock added as a separate panel (which is true if you look inside). The clock apparently only works with 9V but the unit itself can still work with 12V. Therefore, the jumper for different voltage has to be changed on the sCLK-EX panel only. 
Anyway, I have the SPS-500 and I will try both voltages at one point with the same power supply.  

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seriously guys? I don't know why people get so carried away. The only thing I asked for was posts more directly related to the topic. 

Network bridges, linear power supplies, switches, etc are discussed in other threads and I didn't see anything in the posts here that was specific/unique to the SMS-200 ultra. We already have one thread that is about anything and everything... I don't think I need to name it but I feel one such thread is enough.