IGNORED

Basic questions about Weiss AFI1

Sorry basic question warning.

Hi I am thinking of giving up my Weiss DAC2 for the Naim DAC.

To keep interface between my Macbook Pro and the DAC, I am thinking of getting either a Weiss INT202 or a used AFI1.

I am opting towards the AFI1 as the INT202 seems a little too diminutive to be taken seriously. Also, the AFI1 seems to have more options like clock interface.

One thing I am not sure is if the AFI1 has a A to D interface. My understanding is the Vesta has A-D.

THanks

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

The AFI1 is a purely digital interface. It has no AD or DA converters inside. My understanding is that the Vesta doesn't either - it's also a pure digital interface. But as you rightly state, it has no wordclock I/O, whereas the AFI1 does. If the Naim has wordclock I/O, I would strongly recommend going for the AFI1 over the Vesta.

If you're interested in digitizing an analogue signal (say from vinyl, tape or FM), you'll need an ADC connected to the AFI1/Vesta and the appropriate software on your computer. You'll then be able to select the AFI1/Vesta from your software.

Cheers,

Mani.

[EDIT: What I really like about the Naim is the fact that it uses true multibit chips in the guise of the good ol' PCM1704Ks. For this alone, I would consider it over any delta-sigma DAC, i.e. 99.9% of all those out there. Just my 2c.]

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Yes I brought my Weiss DAC to my naim dealer for a shootout. Without the external XPS power cap the naim seems better on mid-range but the weiss slightly more dynamic. I assume with XPS the naim would be even better. On the other hand, I did not bring MacBook so weiss was played thru spdif not FireWire. The weiss sounds better with Firewire

bottomline I think the naim has more potential to soar with upgrade. Albeit with a lot more dough.

Oh and the naim people "forgot" to include fw or USB connectivity for computer. Which is a huge omission IMHO

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

I've just checked the Naim site, and the Naim DAC use RCA connectors at its S/PDIF interface and also has no wordclock I/O. In which case, I'd go for the Vesta...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

manisandher is suggesting using the Vesta... but you may find that the INT202 gives you as good performace for a lot lower cost. Best to contact a Weiss dealer to try to demonstate the two (three) devices.

When the OP referrect to ADC capabilities with the AFI1 - did you just mean that the AFI1 (and the Vesta) has the cabaility of taking the SPDIF output from an ADC and piping it intot he computer via FireWire - the INT202 can't do that.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you're not interested in connecting an ADC to a digital input (for recording from analogue), then the INT202 seems to be your best choice... from the Weiss lineup, that is.

Mani.

agentsmith,

did you consider to give up your Weiss DAC2 for the new Weiss DAC202 ?

The benefits:

1.) You keep interface between your Macbook and the DAC via firewire.

2.) The DAC202 should be in the same league as the Naim DAC with a Naim XPS.

Kind regards

matthias

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

The NAIM DAC has RCA but also BNC for S/PDIF input.

Have you taken care of the proper mains supply phasing when auditionning the NAIM gear? This is absolutely essential to be 'in-phase'. It makes a stunning difference.

Daphile or VortexBox based audio player with ASUS MB and fanless Streacom case. Paul Hynes and Teddy Pardo linear supplies. SSD drive. Paul Pang SATA cable on its way...

Friends:

FYI, on Kent Pon's audio blog there is an ongoing discussion on the comparisons between AF1 and INT202. Below is a quote from the blog by "admin"......

"The INT202 is the same design of AFI1 but just available for stereo output. However I am using INT202 with firewire bus powered, and found the sound is excellent, and may even better than AFI1. Here in HK we have happy customers using it with dCS Scarlatti and Burmester 069 systems......"

The blog http is:

http://www.designwsound.com/dwsblog/?p=2186

tom

Thanks all for your reply. I misread somewhere that the Vesta has A/D functionality. A/D converter is only a bonus to me to convert single layer SACDs .

Anyway, I may have a chance to obtain a used AFI1 at the same price as the INT202. Am I incorrect in thinking the AFI1 having more elaborate engineering and better power supply? or is this a case where Weiss manages to shrink all that is in the Vesta or AFI1 into a little stereo box and gets equal or better result?

I am a little put of by paying almost 2K for a cigarette box size gadget. Would the AFI1 give me any advantage sonically? Does it for instance have a better clock? better power supply? The word clock function does add more versatility.