IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

hopefully you aren't in the subgroup: "I'd be successful if the audiophiles weren't all suckers that can't understand how great my product is"

No, since I don't sell audiophile stage props.

No hyper-active imagination and susceptibility needed to hear very real differences in the soundfield, easily measured and not mindless voodoo-science, to quote JGH ;)

1 minute ago, christopher3393 said:

I was thinking more of the assumption that the scientific method trumps other ways of knowing and that the rational mind mirrors  the world and both operate in ways that would allow us to fully account for reality through scientific method. So it slips into being a metaphysics, which then isn't really natural science any more.

Sure, one can get all philosophical about why "I heard it, I said so" trumps all science.

Wait, did I say trump?

14 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

I'm no engineer

Me neither, but I play one on TV.

As I've said, whether audiophiles believe in them or not is irrelevant. The scientific standard for audio tests is blind/controlled...if one is seeking valid results free of biases and numerous other factors that affect them.

If one simply wants to know if a widget affects you and/or whether you prefer it, no science or test is needed at all

30 minutes ago, Jud said:

How very odd then that you should choose for your illustrations a blind test not controlled for loudness and two examples of sighted bias.

Why would that be odd in the context posted...unless you missed the context??

Orchestras should regress to audiophile style sighted auditions?

And I would suppose one of the first things you’d want to make sure of in any blind test you set up is that loudness was equalized.

So by your reckoning, the remarkable change in orchestra diversity is due to women playing louder than men?

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

As I also noted in my response, the problem of unequal loudness has to do with your single blind test example.

So again, your claim is that blind auditions are invalid, thus the resulting large shift is gender is from flawed non-level matched testing, women having played louder than men.

7 minutes ago, Jud said:

Oh dear.  If you must mischaracterize what I've said to that extent, why are you bothering at all, except to be argumentative?

So that's a no for invalid violin tests evidence and also a yes for blind musician skill auditions are worthless due to level mismatching.

Ok :)

1 minute ago, Jud said:

what I actually did say about a potential problem with blind auditions.

Oh, "potential" problems.

How about specific ones invalidating these

TIA

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

I already responded several times about the violin test

With zero reasons for invalid

With regard to the blind auditions, you may have forgotten: You said these supported the scientific effectiveness of blind testing.

Not forgotten. The results are orchestras that reflect the population diversity one would expect statistically..

Unless you believe the only good musicians are white males as believed prior to blind testing. Which of course you reject as valid.

the fact that there is a bias problem with sighted auditions doesn't prove blind auditions are valid.

So what do you suggest to address the sighted bias problem?

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

So having doubts about the validity of the violin test because those selected appear to be the loudest ones is "baffling" to you?

IOW, your accusation is baseless, because you simply didn't comprehend the study.

The Strads were supposed to "project" "better", but they didn't. This was a totally subjective claim by the players which turned out to be the opposite of belief. You have completely mischaracterized because you don't like the results of blind tests of belief, period

5 minutes ago, Jud said:

I eagerly await the next blind A/B test with one sample louder than the other that you think is perfectly valid.

You're embarrassing yourself now. The blind audition is a test of player skill. You (lawyer perhaps?) could saw the instrument in half at 120db and still lose out to that very soft playing female. lol

We're done here Jud, you've made that clear

45 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

if you know the characteristics of your speakers (that can also be measured), you can even predict with some degree of accuracy how well this amp will work in your system.

Reality is full of traps for believers, because they are blissfully unaware of so many technical issues when they carry on their "hearing" sessions (aka "tests, listening, etc").

For example, take a speaker with highly erratic polar response:

V3afig03.jpg

V3afig06.jpg

(keep in mind the off axes curves are normalized to the (averaged curve above) on, so they are not as smooth as shown near zero axis).

What this means is that even the slightest head movement can result in a change is sound reaching the ears, in rather critical bands.

Unless a head vice is used, getting up even when listening to same amp, could sound different. Good luck getting up and actually inserting another!