IGNORED

Server advice to add HQPlayer upsampling

22 minutes ago, firedog said:

I can only say I disagree about that, too. No server is totally quiet electrically, some are better than others. Even powerful ones can be made to be quiet.

And this is what I would say is an oxymoron.  Not possible with todays mobo choices, unless sent and stored, hard drive, into an NAA and then streamed, thus your back to my solution to begin with.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I started this thread with two aims in mind. 

A. I often sit looking at "Trying to connect to Roon core" on my phone. And hopefully moving my core from a 2Gb RAM NAS to a muscular server would help.

But equally the issue might be on my phone or network side in which case I owe QNAP an apology. 

B. I hope that upsampling, especially the well regarded HQPlayer upsampling adds something to the SQ. 

For both I was hoping that adding a $1200-2000 simple solution was the answer. 

Given that it looks WAY more complicated and that A. is essentially unanswerable I need to ask: Is HQPlayer upsampling worth the effort and expense in terms of SQ? 

I'm fine spending the money if it actually improves things. But if it's marginal then this is a lot of effort... 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 5/31/2017 at 0:18 PM, BigAlMc said:

I started this thread with two aims in mind. 

A. I often sit looking at "Trying to connect to Roon core" on my phone. And hopefully moving my core from a 2Gb RAM NAS to a muscular server would help.

But equally the issue might be on my phone or network side in which case I owe QNAP an apology. 

B. I hope that upsampling, especially the well regarded HQPlayer upsampling adds something to the SQ. 

For both I was hoping that adding a $1200-2000 simple solution was the answer. 

Given that it looks WAY more complicated and that A. is essentially unanswerable I need to ask: Is HQPlayer upsampling worth the effort and expense in terms of SQ? 

I'm fine spending the money if it actually improves things. But if it's marginal then this is a lot of effort... 

+1 on all these points.

@BigAlMc Thanks for bringing us back to the OP.

My spreadsheet (not to mention my electrical outlets) is running out of cells (okay not really) for calculating the combinations of power supply, device, cable upgrades, software, etc. But HQPlayer and its physical and virtual set up (not to mention comparing it vs. Roon's own upsampling and others) is the big question.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.