IGNORED

New Diana Krall "Turn Up The Quiet"

Just downloaded the 24/192 from HD tracks. It seems to be recorded loud and I wonder if it has fallen prey to the loudness wars?? I dont have the software to analyze and wondering if anyone else has tried her new album?

I am not that crazy about the mix, her vocals are way front and center and instruments take a back seat. Jury is still out on this one, maybe the vinyl sounds better??

Holo Spring Kitsume Level 3, Singxer SU-1

The music is generally good and some excellent double bass on a few numbers.

I wouldn't hesitate to see her live! 

EDIT: It seems to just be several songs that I feel the mix is off kilter. Overall the album is quite good. :)

I've seen her many times ...she's well worth the effort!   Sometimes she performs with an Orchestra other times with her Jazz other three band mates....Drums, Stand up Bass and Acoustic guitar.

I think her new album is well recorded...especially her voice is incredibly reproduced with startling realism!    

4 hours ago, agladstone said:

Thanks everyone! I will definitely get tickets to go see her!! 

Report back on concert. :)

The new album has grown on me, the 24/192 does sound really good and the double bass is outstanding. 

• 4 years later...
On 5/24/2017 at 2:21 AM, nick77 said:

Just downloaded the 24/192 from HD tracks. It seems to be recorded loud and I wonder if it has fallen prey to the loudness wars??

Got the CD, and you definitely don't need the extra gain of an active preamp for this, as it 10dbB louder on average than most of my cd collection and of her older cd's.

I don't think there's any compression looking at this on the Dynamic Range Data Base https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Diana+Krall&album=Turn+Up+The+Quiet mostly all green (no compression)

But because I go direct from dac to amp/s and use the digital domain volume in the dac, normally I'm up near full for loud listening but with this I had to reduce it so far that I was definitely "bit stripping" the detail.

What I did was to burn it at 10dB lower level and that allowed me to use the digital domain volume back up near full again, and no "bit stripping" and it sounded so much better for it.

Cheers George. 

16 hours ago, Georgehifi said:

What I did was to burn it at 10dB lower level and that allowed me to use the digital domain volume back up near full again, and no "bit stripping"

Sounds like you just moved your "bit stripping" from DAC's volume to whatever did volume reduction for burning at 10dB lower level.

4 hours ago, danadam said:

Sounds like you just moved your "bit stripping" from DAC's volume to whatever did volume reduction for burning at 10dB lower level.

Could be, but I think maybe less chance of "bit stripping" with a ESS Delta Sigma based dac than a 16/44 R2R based dac.

Cheers George