IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

Has anyone been able to use the Uptone USPCB with the ultraRendu, directly into their USB DAC?

Finding a 90 degree DC power connector isn't hard but bending the ethernet cable might be the only issue.

Would love to see any pics if anyone has managed this.

• vortecjr featured and unfeatured this topic
20 hours ago, Al Jones said:

It can be done.

UR connections.jpg

Thanks for sharing. As I expected, only the ethernet cable is the issue. The DC connector issue is easy to fix because there are right angle adapters.

The USPCB is getting a reputation for bettering any USB cable so it's nice to see this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2017 at 8:53 PM, vortecjr said:

Yes on all counts. 

@vortecjr @agillis I purchased an ultraRendu based on your confirmation that native DSD256 is no issue with the iDAC2 and Roon. But there's no option to select native DSD256 in Roon.

I am limited to DSD128.

My RPi3 running DietPi was able to select native DSD256 for the iDAC2 and worked without issues with Roon. 

Screenshots attached. Really appreciate your help.

The ultraRendu was updated to the latest updates and my core is the sonicT i7, also running the latest updates.

599636bf0abe1_Screenshot(299).thumb.png.776523c955373772071437b9186f3c1b.png

599636bc642fe_Screenshot(296).thumb.png.ee43278d2dd12bf94387d345a7803b4f.png

599636b23b97f_Screenshot(297).thumb.png.f847c7346168d1c047152f967807989a.png

599636a420082_Screenshot(298).thumb.png.c1fad46a78c8f02a4e110eedcaac802c.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What happens when you try to play DSD256?

As per screenshots, there is no option for DSD256 - only goes up to DSD128.

I don't have DSD256 music.

I've been using Roon to upsample to native DSD256 with an Rpi3 and Dietpi without issues.

But just higher up on this thread, JR mentioned this won't be an issue so I went ahead and bough the ultraRendu. I'm sure it's just a patching thing, if an RPi3 and Dietpi can work with native DSD256 and this iDAC2.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That maximum setting has nothing to do with upsampling in and of itself. What happens when you change the roon DSP. Can you upsample to 256?

If you don't see DSD256 as an option in device settings you won't see it in the DSP upsampling options either. They are linked.

For completeness, see attached.

As I said, same setup has been no  issues with an RPi3 and DietPi - nativeDSD256 shows as an option in both device settings and therefore as an option in DSP.

Screenshot (300).png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the follow-up.

Not sure if I have an idac2 around here to test. I'll look. 

No problem and thanks. I did ask JR at the top of this page before purchasing and based on his confirmation I went ahead and purchased the ultraRendu. Hopefully we can get it working with native DSD256 otherwise I'll be looking to return it (and hopefully that won't be an issue).

52 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

You didn't post this configuration page. The issue might show up if you have DoP selected and not native DSD as shown below.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 11.01.02 PM.png

Thanks this is the only settings page I haven't been in since I got the ultraRendu. The Roon signal path doesn't mention DoP though when it's playing at the current DSD128 limit, so I assume it's playing as native DSD  but I will check this settings page as soon as I get home and report back.

And to confirm, you are testing with the iDAC2 (not iDSD) right?

8 hours ago, vortecjr said:

You didn't post this configuration page. The issue might show up if you have DoP selected and not native DSD as shown below.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 11.01.02 PM.png

With DietPi , Roon tells me if it plays via DoP - in the signal path.

But indeed, it was set to DoP on the ultraRendu settings page.

We are now off and racing. Sorry for the troubles.

It sounds bloody marvelous mate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, left channel said:

It's getting a player to provide higher DSD or PCM that would be the challenge. Try HQPlayer.

Hi again! Many thanks.

I have Roon which had no issues up-sampling to DSD512 from ultraRendu to an iFi micro iDSD Black Label, so Roon is fine as a player.

Your screenshot answers my question about PCM768kHz so I can cross that off the list.

I now just need clarification that Native DSD512 isn't an issue, from the micro/Rendu. It's obviously fine with Windows.

Hard to know until someone gets it in hand though.

8 minutes ago, left channel said:

@Em2016 glad to help once again. The Pro-Ject only supports DoP; I don't know if that will be an issue for you. I've never ventured into the stratosphere for those numbers.

LOL. Oh I didn't pick up on DSD12 only being DoP but I should have - it's mentioned on the product page.

Hmmm I am confused (as usual) - native DSD512 generally needs PCM768kHz equivalent bandwidth.

DSD256 via  DoP 'rides' PCM768kHz.

So if this DAC supports DSD512 via DoP it would need to 'ride' PCM1536kHz (768 x 2).

Maybe a query for Pro-Ject Support about DSD512 support?

Edit: I wrongly used 768 instead of 705.6 and 1536 instead of 1411.2. But the same query applies.

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

If it is DoP only then the max rate will be DSD256.  As 705.6 PCM is required for DSD256 via DoP, and 1411.2 PCM would be required for DSD512 via DoP... Unless it can actually handle 1411.2 PCM!

For added confusion (as if I needed more :$) check out the last page of the manual here and the mention of DSD1024

http://www.box-designs.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_preboxs2digital.pdf

3 minutes ago, left channel said:

@barrows someone did post that he got Roon to send DSD512 but somehow at 768 kHz. I have no idea what was happening there.

@Em2016 this is way over the head of anyone at Pro-Ject support. They normally rely on audiophile staff at local dealers to get into this level of detail. And John has pretty much moved on to new projects (not Pro-Ject's).

We should move this discussion to one the main thread for the Pre Box S2 Digital, instead of hijacking this one. But just for the record, the marketing materials do say DSD512 and sometimes DSD1024 (usually qualified as downsampled to DSD512), but I think those and the manual were written by someone in marketing factory long before the product was even close to finished. I've been distributing other corrections to that manual for quite some time.

All noted!

My query is specific to a micro/ultraRendu source playing to this DAC and whether Native DSD512 is supported.

If someone had it working with DSD512 it must be native DSD512 because Roon doesn't support >PCM768k at present. 

1 minute ago, left channel said:

No he was upsampling to that rate somehow. I found the conversation. Remember this? https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34777-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-mqa-hw-decoding-at-reasonable-cost/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-725563 

As I recall he has a self-built Linux endpoint, but it seems to me the xRendus would not be a barrier if you could get Roon to cooperate.

Yep, I'm only referring to DSD512 via up-sampling. There's very little DSD512 music out there for purchase.

Interesting, it looks like he's manually patched native DSD512 support.

I had completely forgotten about that post (shows how quickly my brain is turning to mush).

It's gotta be native DSD512. But I will ask him to clarify! Thanks for finding that post.

8 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

I'm successfully using Roon to play upsampled DSD512 and PCM768 to a Pre Box S2 Digital via a RPi3 running Ropieee.  Roon DSD is set to native in both Device Setup and the DSP Engine. I sure hope this will work on an Ultrarendu (and sound even better!) as I have one on order.  

Can you report back as soon as you get the ultraRendu if both DSD512 and PCM768 work with Roon?

If sonicOrbiter OS doesn't have the right patch yet but RoPieee does, I'm sure @vortecjr can arrange to get it patched

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

A couple of things. Thanks to the post above I have the information I need to add support for native DSD. No ETA on this, but it's now on the to do list along with a few other devices. As for DoP support this DAC only support up to DSD256. A higher DoP rate is not possible with given PCM rate listed.