IGNORED

Article: SOtM sMS-200 Review

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't doubt your conclusions. However, if my aunt was a man he would be my uncle. If, if, if :~)

The review in and of itself would have been just fine regardless of PSU used.  Where it became open to contention was when the two devices were compared.  This should have been, and still should be in a separate review.  Comparing apples with oranges regardless of the number of possible types of apples and oranges out there, are still apples and oranges.  Bob's your uncle.  I understand the mfg wanted you to use a specific PSU, and by all means that request should be honored, but if the mfg's wanted their products to be compared with each other's, I'm guessing they'd want the PSU playing field level and at least one would have chosen a different option.  A fair comparison would have either included the  iFi or LPS-1 for both devices.  The mR is even offered with the iFi, but the LPS-1 is the most common PSU being used to power these devices based on these forums.

If you haven't updated your references to the lack of DAC info in the review, that probably should be corrected before even more people read it.  It was a pretty big miss.  No one's perfect and the review is good overall.  These are just suggestions from your community. FWIW.

By the way, I really liked your honesty in critiquing both devices.  Because of your credibility people listen.  When people critique these devices in the forum, they tend to get flamed.

7 hours ago, rickca said:

Thanks for your balanced assessment, @Johnseye.   

I have done everything within my budget to provide the lowest noise and distortion levels possible.  I have tuned my system to be very detail oriented and neutral.  The amp and speakers with silver cables between them make the sound very revealing.  I've essentially worked my way backwards from the speakers with this specific signature.  The downside of doing this is there is a potential for brightness or crispness that can have a hard edge, especially at loud levels.  The mR softens it very slightly.  Much more slightly than if I had chosen a different pair of speakers, or a tube amp.  This is why these devices can be so subjective to your other equipment.  If I wasn't using the AHB-2 with its low noise and distortion levels, I may have a different opinion all together.

I'm very tempted to give the new Benchmark DAC3 an audition.  The AHB-2 is so clean and neutral that if the DAC3 follows the same engineering there could be some magic going on there.  A little more research to do first.

Based on some of the experiments @romaz and @austinpop are doing, a switch and my sms-200 will be going to SOtM shortly for an upgrade.  This is all cutting edge, home audio, digital music reproduction, and some great community involvement here to help it along.

• 2 weeks later...