IGNORED

Class D: Turns Out it Does Suck!

9 hours ago, wgscott said:

That was one of my primary motivations for trying Class D.  I am trying to produce more electricity that we consume. 

We also have a serious ecological catastrophe unfolding ...

Even if the inferior sound quality allegation amounts to anything more than snobbery, I think I could live with the very minor difference, given the difference in power consumption.

So for those of us who spend a fair amount of time in a heated, rather than cooled, environment, would a Class A amp with an efficient radiator system be acceptable? Or must we just shiver ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

14 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Live in town, don't drive, don't have kids...  but everybody gets to pick any electricity saving or other energy saving activities

Now, what about intermodulation between the scan frequency and the input signal?  Is that a problem with current Class D designs?

Maybe not Intermodulation per se, but I remain concerned with what is essentially low sample rate DSD ADC->amp->DAC ...  if we upsample our DSD64 which is 2.8 MHz to DSD512 which is 24 MHz then hard to see how a sub MHz conversion could help? I'd think that if the EMI problem were solved for say 24mhz then you could avoid the extra DAC/ADC loop and just feed a DSD signal in directly.

As always everything depends on the implementation. 

if if we are really trying to be efficient, just use your iPhone which is turned on anyways ;) 

54 minutes ago, Jud said:

I know I mentioned the use of feedback previously as something that might help, but I remain interested in this issue as well.

Yes, though I'm unsure how much it helps with the noise issue -- complicated issues and undoubtedly complicated solutions 

Now if the amp could be switched at 24 MHz without creating a radio transmitter -- then a nifty nonfeedback power DAC ;)