IGNORED

Down-sample DXD 352 to 192 or 176, and 96 or 88???

Integer resampling ratios can be less computationally intensive to perform, but there's no difference in quality if done properly. I assume whatever software they used is decent.

The real question here is why you didn't downsample the files yourself rather than buying the album twice.

3 minutes ago, PAP said:

Sox. Ok I will look into that, thanks!

But if you had the choice and were going to download one of those down samples would you choose 192 or 176,

or indeed do it yourself ... you would convert to 88 or 96?

If buying I'd pick the cheaper one, or the higher rate (just in case) if they were the same price. There's no reason the quality should differ.

4 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Several years ago there was a strong and long discussion in this forum regarding this, where several recording engineers and audio software developers participated. I can't find the thread !
The answers (as always) were controversial.

I personally (and a group of friends) prefer to respect the multiples. The same regarding our preferences toward Native DSD vs DoP.

Could you describe what you compared and the difference you perceived?

At this time I try to download the version at 176 (the server is very busy :) ), before, I downloaded the 128 DSD. 

Unfortunately there is no information from Sound Liaison if the simultaneous recording on analog tape was used as a source for some of the formats.

You could ask them.

PS/ Please note that is an opinion only, based on taste, and not to start an never ending discussion !!!

My opinion is based on maths.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Exactly, apparently some systems require significantly more CPU effort to up- or down-sample between non-integer multiples than between integer multiples.  With hig-rez and multichannels, the difference can choke the processor leading to interruptions in the playback.   The difference can also be measured with any number of tools.

However, when all runs smoothly, I do not hear a difference between non-integer and integer conversions.

The original question concerned offline resampling where CPU load is much less of an issue.

2 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Thanks for the very thorough and knowledgable explanation.  

It seems the consensus and my own operational practice agree that, in case downsampling is necessary, it cannot hurt to use integer downsampling, and there is nothing to be gained by not using it in that case.  It probably does not make a big sonic difference either way, unless computer resources are extremely tight in on-the-fly conversion, where integer downsampling may be preferred over non-integer.  But, no downsampling may be best wherever possible.

Does that seem fair?

All else being equal, choosing integer ratios will indeed not hurt anything, so by all means do that if it makes you feel better.

Btw, the explanation above applies with only minor changes to upsampling as well.